SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Jan. 18-20

lindaoh_gw
11 years ago

I have been busy this week. I quilted a table runner and four matching place mats, a small table runner, the Hello Sun quilt, and loaded a small twister quilt this morning. I am also working on my granny square quilt. I need to join the rows together and add a border. I hope to do that today or tomorrow.
Are you quilting this weekend? Do you have a long weekend for MLK?
Linda OH

Comments (39)

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Yes, to the long weekend question! As to quilting...hopefully!

Tomorrow I'm working all day at take in for our quilt show. I haven't worked at take in before, so I'm looking forward to it! And to getting a preview of the quilts! Monday evening we have a quilt guild board meeting.

I'm hoping I can spend Sunday afternoon and most of Monday in the sewing room. :)

Donna

• User
    11 years ago

My hubby and son will be home Monday and Tuesday, so yay we all get to sleep in those days! :-) I will be working on Granny Square quilt blocks this weekend. I had promised myself that I would work mostly from my stash this year making my parents' quilt blocks and starting 2 scrappy quilts for me to keep (I have not made a quilt for me to keep in 5 years), then my Mom gave me money for my birthday and Christmas which I used to order fabric from Joann's. And for my birthday my husband is buying me a 1 year's subscription to American Patchwork & Quilting magazine - the first quilt magazine I have ever bought. So I am super excited and hoping this will be a fun year quilting!

Best to you & have a good weekend,
    Sandra

• Related Discussions

Are you quilting this weekend? April 18-20

Q

Comments (15)
    I probably won't get much sewing done this weekend. My mother came in this morning. My son and daughter in law also came in. We went to an old old restaurant in Chattanooga called Bea's for a late lunch. 4 cousins also went with us. It's one of those old southern restaurants that have a lazy susan in the middle of the table and keep the food piled high. They were serving fried chicken, bbq, chicken and dumplings, okra, sliced tomatoes, stewed potatoes, slaw, potato salad, greens, pinto beans, rolls, corn bread and cherry cobbler. The restaurant has been in business since the early 60's with the same lazy susan tables. Best fried chicken in the area. You eat all you want for a moderate price. Mom will be here until sometime Sunday, so I won't be in the sewing room until after she leaves. Jackie
    ...See More

Are you quilting this weekend? May 18-20

Q

Comments (30)
    Dan, those are beautiful!! We're headed to the beach (NC) in a few weeks and I can hardly wait!! Plus I usually get a lot of hand work done in the car and a little done sitting around the room enjoying the view and breeze. Very little quilting for me this past weekend. My mom's birthday was Saturday night, so I had a dinner for the family at our house (about 15 people, not real big). Then I had a Girl Scout bridging ceremony on Sunday and bakes about 3 different cakes for it. I can't seem to anything easy. I did the Daisy to Brownie cake where the daisy was a cake that looked like a daisy (cut into wedges and each decorated individually) then a bridge that went to a pile of brownies. Then I did a sheet cake, 1/2 chocolate, 1/2 white with different colors icing and an iced rainbow in the middle. It was a lot of fun, but I just about waited too late to do it and cooking for 15 at the same time made for a busy day! I was able to applique one piece that finished another square on my DJ quilt. I still have to finish last months blocks, but this week looks pretty clear, so maybe I can get caught up???? Robbi
    ...See More

Are you quilting this weekend? March 18-20

Q

Comments (22)
    Theresa, You are right. They usually do offer a pattern, but I couldn't find one for this year. I noticed they (whoever 'they' are) changed the name to Worldwide Quilting Day, so maybe the National Quilting Association didn't put one up. I went searching for one and decided on St Louis 16-Patch. I like the concept more than how the quilt on this site looks, but like the one I did. No picture yet as I haven't completed sewing all the blocks together. It was fun and went together quickly. http://sewwithsass.blogspot.co.nz/2013/04/quilts-st-louis-16-patch.html  Love2Sew. Curling! Wouldn't that be a fun thing for us to do??? I did find where the Championships would be televised here on the 31st and have it set to record should I not remember. Right now we've been binge watching March Madness (college basketball) and seeing a few upsets that are nice to see.
    ...See More

Are you quilting this weekend? Jan. 20-22

Q

Comments (5)
    I have 2 more applique flower blocks to get done this weekend for my local guilds row quilt. Pieces are cut, but I just had a margarita, so not sure how my stitches will be!! :) I also need to figure out sizing for the "ribbon" row on our row quilt and get the instructions printed for that. One of our DS & DIL's friends is pregnant with son#2, so will try to start his baby quilt. I have until July, so that is good! Hope you all have a great weekend! Sue
    ...See More
  • magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Donna, I have worked the Quilt Registration / Take in at our Quilt show for the past few years. It is a hard job, but the organizers have the Chaos perfected and I am always amazed how well it works. It is fun to be able to preview and touch the quilts! Have fun - take pictures of your show if you can.

I hope to clean up my sewing area - mostly my cutting table, which has everything from mail to Christmas stuff on it! It is out of control completely.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I made the ribbon blocks for the corners of Katie's quilt this last week (thank you, Jen, for the graph notebook) so I hope to get the borders on it this week-end and maybe completed this coming week.

Katie is starting treatment on Monday and I've been approached for a quilt to use for a raffle as a fundraiser for them. That will be next and I plan to use one of my UFO's.

SharonG/FL

• polardream
    11 years ago

We are dog-sitting our neighbor's border collie and maybe DS's golden retriever (as well as our Aussie!) so will have a busy household. The weather is supposed to be nice so that will make the walks much easier.

I am hoping to finish pieccing a DP16patch charity quilt tonight and find backing fabric for it somewhere in my stash! If I do, I hope to get it sandwiched. I am hoping to narrow down the ideas for a wedding quilt for DS and see if I have any fabrics or need to shop. Right now they are thinking the end of November so that gives me a little time to get going.

Sharon, keep us posted on how Katie is doing.

Sue

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Sharon, if I can help with any of the blocks let me know. Have fun Donna!

There has been drama after drama in my family on my dad's side. Much of it is coming from seniors lol!! I stay totally away but someone always wants to keep me informed.

I am helping my cousin with a baby shower this weekend - if the Drama Kings and Queens start their theatrics I may come home and quilt and go back later to clean up.

We are in a rural area and I think some people are just bored - I have tried to get them all involved in quilting!!!
    Rosa

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I finally finished the stained glass piece for my kitchen door...only took me 7 1/2 years. I know we are advised on this site not to pick our quilting apart so I won't say much except the pattern was above my ability level and my tastes have evidently changed since I purchased the glass and pattern. However, my husband has been long suffering and would have had a fit if I said I didn't want to put this one but make a new one. LOL So long story short...I am free to quilt this weekend. Hope to finish piecing DD's quilt and get it sandwiched.

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

I've resumed working on that rail fence quilt that I started back in September... I quiilt about 3 lines per night after work and I'm slowly workig toward the place where I can put binding on... I'm off all weekend, so will definitely be working on it more.... I'm really excited because this quilt is for me and I can't wait to start using it...

This was last night... I was playing with the new phone and trying out the camera... I'd been quilting and Jasper tried to go to sleep on the quilt while I was sewing on it... after nearly running his tail through the machine, I decided to just give up and let him take over (I'd already shooed him off 5 times and he came back each time like a boomerang so I wasn't getting anything done)... he fell asleep on the job as you can see...

I switched back to the vintage machine and found that it is much better to quilt on than the plastic one... I think all those layers messed up my plastic one the last time, so now that I have it working properly, I'm going to save it for piecing.... I have more control with the vintage machine and a walking foot isn't even necessary once you get the right balance of presser foot pressure and how far the feed dogs come up, but I have a few puckers from where I was learning.... I don't even care, this is for me :o) I found that when I use the plastic one I'm more playing with the features than concentrating on the task at hand... the simple vintage machine just allows me to focus on the task rather than being distracted by all the gadgets...

Using masking tape to mark is amazing compared to marking with chalk for straight line quilting... I wish I'd discovered that at the beginning. Things would go better if I'd watch when I get the end and not sew the back of the quilt to the front of the quilt... it folds over someitmes and I don't realize it... I've had to rip stitches about 20 times because of that, and still haven't learned :o)

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

My Saturday always involves lots of hand work as I sit at a quiet volunteer desk from 8 to 12. I hope to get one binding stitched down and then will work on my applique blocks for my civil-war style fabric sampler. I kit up enough each Thurs and Friday to cover my Saturday stint. Don't know what I'll do when I finish this one. Start another, I suppose. We laugh about me setting up a sewing machine on my desk but who knows.

Sunday is football and Monday is a normal day for us retired folk.

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Donna, do you know what the dates of the quilt show are? I'd love to attend... I am looking forward to it, but will also be glad when it is over and the guild can return to normal. :o)

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Donna, do you know what the dates of the quilt show are? I'd love to attend... I am looking forward to it, but will also be glad when it is over and the guild can return to normal. :o)

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Sorry about the triple post.... I was trying it from my new phone and obviously something went wrong..... I knew something wasn't right when it took me 9 tries to log in and now it posted thrice. Oh well, it gave me an excuse to use the word thrice. . :-/

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Sorry about the triple post.... I was trying it from my new phone and obviously something went wrong..... I knew something wasn't right when it took me 9 tries to log in and now it posted thrice. Oh well, it gave me an excuse to use the word thrice. . :-/

• maritime_linda
    11 years ago

I am hoping to devote a large portion of today to quilting. I have a long-time ufo that I'm working on. It is a Christmas stain-glass wall-hanging and I have to sew the bias tape around all the pieces. Can't say as I'm enjoying it. It's one of Edna Trunt's patterns, the angel. Some of you have probably done it. It has been rolled around a noodle in my closet waiting for the bias tape for about 3 years! My SIL and I are planning to do an Easter one for our church, so I decided I'd better get this one done before attempting another.

Sharon, good to hear that fast action is being taken with Katie. Prayers continue.

MLinda

• nannykins
    11 years ago

I started another baby quilt this week. Main blocks have been cut out and this morning I worked on the sashing pieces which are made up of three strips. Now off to a funeral and then maybe time to do more when I get back.
    Theresa

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

vacuum freak,

Cute cat, but sounds like cat through and through. We're just the ones with thumbs for opening the food ;-)

I liked the masking tape too, but still managed to have "less than straight" lines a few times. Looks like you mastered it!

• loisflan
    11 years ago

I got my Janome Jem safely to Maui in its original packing carton inside my large suitcase. Yesterday, I set it up and started piecing. It sews a lovely seam. I'm working on my Marimekko scrap quilt, and it's going so fast that I'll probably run out of things to do and will have to head over to that darling quilt shop in Kihei. Perish the thought!

I think the traditional Hawaiian quilts are wonderful, but I believe they are all hand applique, and I don't think I would enjoy it that much. But maybe a small wallhanging, or even one block, might give me a taste of it but not overwhelm me.

Lots of repairs to do here in the condo. It's amazing how much can fall apart in a year. We rent it out for eleven months of the year and repair it for one month. But even working on Maui in Janauary is better than being in Minnesota in January.

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Quiltnhen... you are so right about cats :o) My lines start out straight, but when I got to the middle of the quilt where all the bulk was in the "arm pit" of the machine, they went crazy... that was before I learned to use the tape and was still learning to manage the bulk of the quilt (still learning)... it's for me so it doesn't matter, but I could never give something like this to someone else because the middle of the quilt is a mess :o) Jasper is covering up the bad parts LOL This was my first attempt at machine quilting and to say it has been a learning experience is an understatement.

Donna, I got the bright idea to look on the quilt guild's web site, so I found out the dates of the quilt show... Feb 1st and 2nd from 9 to 5... I don't know which day I will be attending, but it will be one of them for sure... I'd love to connect with other forum members and put faces with screen names :o)

I wonder if there will be vendors demonstrating machines and techniques or selling fun gadgets to make quilting easier and more fun!

Have a great weekend everyone!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Lois, It's forecast to be -17 for a low the next couple of days where my sister lives (which isn't all that far from where you live in MN) and a high of -4! Stay where you are!!!

I finished the quilt top for Katie. I'll have to check and see what I have for a backing. If I have something, I hope to get it sandwiched tomorrow and then quilted this week. If any of you have had chemo and/or radiation, what feels the best next to skin? I thought I'd stay away from fleece, but if it feels nice, I could go that way......I don't know.....does it even matter?

SharonG/FL

• User
    11 years ago

Sharon I have never had chemo or radiation, but have you considered using minky as a backing? My sister bought me a small 2 yard segment of minky to use as a backing for a lap quilt and it feels really soft and plush for a comfort fabric. Just a thought.

Best to you,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 15:51

• grammyp
    11 years ago

The snow has melted here and it is a sunny 55 outside! Windows are open, DH is at work, I took the grands to the park for a while and now they are eating popcorn and watching a movie. After dinner they will play Wii and I will get to sew. I have another Sandy quilt in the frame ready to go.

Life is good.
    beverly

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Sharon, I asked the same question for the same reason last year this same time. I also did alot of research / reading, and what I found was the backing did need to be soft and warm -- but lightweight, as the weight of the quilt can be uncomfortable, but it still needs to be warm. I was also in a hurry to get my quilt made and sent, and was afraid to try quilting with a stretchy fleece or minky. I decided to use a soft cotton as the backing, and a lighter weight Warm and White blend for batting. I was happy with my decision.

Keeping Katie and family in my prayers.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

LOL, Lois, isn't just about ANYWHERE better than MN in January? Except maybe Green Bay...

Bobby, I'm the treasurer so I'll be running around all over the place during the show. Let us know what day you'll be coming and maybe we can pick a spot and time to try to connect. Gwen (Sunnycentralfl) is in our guild; maybe K8Orlando can come, too...are there any other Cabin Fever Quilters on this group?

Donna

PS - take in went very smoothly as far as I could tell...four hours went by really fast!

Donna

• nannykins
    11 years ago

The backing for all the chemo quilts I have made is flannelette (prewashed of course).
    My sister belongs to a group which makes chemo quilts as their ministry and gift to the local Cancer ward. All of these use flannelette as backing. Soft and warm!!!
    There is a site called Victoria's Quilts which does the same thing and they ask for flannelette backing.
    Theresa

This post was edited by nannykins on Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 16:51

• calliope
    11 years ago

What interesting reading...and such a wide diversity in activities. UFOs to quilts for weddings months away. Quilt shows and cats.

BTW vacuumfreak..........I have a kitty named Willie Winkie and he is nearly identical to your sweet baby. I can't decide if he is cream or buff, just the lightest stripes, and still morphing as he matures. I've had a lot of kitties in my life, and hopefully more to come.......but this is the first one who looks like he can't decide whether to be coffee creamer or light caramel.

Quilting this weekend? Well, it sneaked up on me and probably. I have the easel out the last two days and working on another floor cloth, but in the background are sixteen pink crazy quilt blocks and a heap of pink material waiting for me to get back to it. I had absolutely no intentions to start another crazy quilt right now, least of all PINK. But I was heavy on that fabric and am not a pastel person to begin with, but wanted to use some of it up. Now that it's starting to come together, I am thinking its pretty. Go figure.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I will keep them all in mind when I go looking......

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Yes it's a long weekend for me! On Saturday I left the house early to meet a dear friend in VA. Our objective for the day was to head to Jinny Beyer's studio and select fabric for a quilt she asked me to make. My friend lives part time in VA. and part time in Taos NM, so she wants a southwest theme quilt. She found a pattern she liked on line, but I was concerned about finding fabric on the east coast. Well I think we found the right combo at Jinny's, but what a store...her fabrics are so rich you just wanted to eat 'em all up. Surprisingly we found a stunning, rich, non- traditional mix. I only purchased enough for a block or two to try it out.... But I'm excited. ( Of course I found the sale table upstairs and pick up a yard for my own stash!) I hope to try the block ,today...I'm looking forward to it.

Love the kitty on the sewing table...it's always nice to have a companion when you sew....I'm allergic to kitties, but my puppies sleep nearby while I'm at the machine. Your rail fence is looking good!

Calliope, do post a pic if you dare, I'd love to see your crazy quilt. It's one of those patterns on my very long to do list.

Happy quilting everyone!
    V.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Here is the very busy sewing room. I dunno what I'll do when I finally get the old iron bedstead up in the bedroom I'm setting up, because I'm using its mattress for a design wall/to pile UFOs on. Today I set up a second machine with a quilting foot on a vintage typewriter stand, so I won't have to keep changing the feet on my main machine, have the easel set up working on the floor cloth, and there are some of the blocks for the pink crazy quilt. I'll sew them together when I decide what size it'll end up and I may decide that when I start running out of pink material. LOL

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Between cooking and cleaning the kitchen I got 8 blocks cut out for my Civil War Remembrance quilt. I need to cut out 9 more then will have all 30 needed. The cutting takes so much time but they stitch up really quickly...often the way...lol
    That is about the extent of the quilting I accomplished this weekend!
    Mary from cold, windy and snowy Southern Ontario

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Donna.... we will have to try to set something up with the quilt show.... I'm excited about it... you'll probably be running around like a chicken with its head cut off... I e-mailed Darlene who is the lady who demonstrates the machines on HSN... she lives in Florida and I've talked to her a few times in the past and she's always so kind and sweet.... I told her about the quilt show and she said she is going to try to make it.... it would be so great to meet her! She does clothing more than quilts, but still has an interest...

Calliope, you do great work and what a cool idea for a design wall. I'm sure it's nice to have the machine right by a window like that. Jasper is a weird color... I call it cream orange :o)

I made the curtains today... have to buy a curtain rod now.... it went well, but they weren't long enough so I had to add fabric to the bottom.... and ask me how many needles I broke on the quarter inch foot.... try three... yes, three in one day... :-/

• calliope
    11 years ago

Hey the material you added is perfect. It looks intentional.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Yes, I love the diagonal stripe at the bottom, too! Nice job.

Yesterday I got the first border on my Blackford's Beauty quilt. Today I plan to get the other 2 borders on which will finish the top. This is the one for our friend who is very ill. I decided to make a colorwash wall hanging for his partner so I'm going to make the top for that then quilt both of them.

Donna

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Love the stripe material. Was it something you just happened to have in your stash? I love that when it happens.

I finished piecing my DD's top. It will have to wait a couple of days now. Home owner assn. meeting here tomorrow night, so must clean!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

cute curtains...the stripe goes w/ the fabric.

Thanks for the pic of the pink crazy quilt...that will look great when complete.

I tried the block for the quilt my friend ask me to make...sent her a pic and she like's it...Guess I know my project for the next few weeks...months.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Wow! Very effective fior SW theme and lovely fabric.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

A long weekend for me too and it's been a productive one as I finally sorted through some things that needed sorting through! I haven't gotten any sewing done but I may get to that later today. If I do, it will be the first sewing I've done in months. I wonder if I still remember how...

I'm excited about the guild show coming up and would love to connect with the forum members there! I worked the last one transporting quilts and also as a White Glove Lady but I didn't sign up this time because I wasn't sure I would be able to be there. If there are volunteer slots open I may still sign up on Saturday for a couple hours.

Kate

• User
    11 years ago

Calliope I love your pink crazy quilt blocks. Donna cute curtains. Littlehelen I like the block you made, what is the name of it? Well I got a lot done this long weekend, I got fabric cut for 8 Granny Square quilt blocks and am spending this afternoon cutting out more fabric for more blocks. I am bagging up each block's fabric in a ziplock and putting them in a plastic storage tub and will work on them during the year. I am really enjoying this Granny Square quilt block pattern as it is scrappy and I am able to use special fabrics from my stash that I have been saving for a while for just the right project. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

little helen, I agree, great block!

Calliope, I'm not even a fan of pink and I think that's a great looking quilt. Your floor cloths are amazing. I always meant to try it, but never did. Not much of a painter either, so I'd probably have to follow a pattern.

LindaB/CA

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths