SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenmtn_gw

Dream cotton batting/quilting question

greenmtn
15 years ago

I am a fairly new quilter and have a question regarding how far I can space my quilting. I am using Quilters Dream Cotton Select batting and it says "Stitching may be up to 8" apart".

The blocks are 12"x12" and I have already stitched in the ditch there. This next part may be hard to put into words... If I proceed as planned and do my quilting design inside each block there will be 2 places where there is an unquilted rectangle about 3" high by 12" wide (width of block). This is where I wonder about the 8" recommendation on the batting instructions. The quilt will get a lot of washing (child's bed) and I don't want it to get ruined in the wash, but I also can't spend any more time than needed on this project.

I am quilting a modern design quilt that does not have nice neat rows or angles and therefore my quilting design choice has me perplexed. While each block is 12" they are all flipped different directions and nothing falls into an easy choice. The quilt is quite large and I do not feel comfortable doing FM quilting on it.

(I'll see if I can post a picture)

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (10)