SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brittu

Anyone see scratching problems with Ipe deck?

Britt
16 years ago

So just finishing up our agonizing "what decking material to use" decision. We thought one of the key pluses Ipe had going for it over TimberTech Earthwood is no scratching. Some TT users, including an installer I talked to today, report scratching issues. I was under the impression that Ipe didn't have scratching issues then a friend of my husbands with an Ipe deck said that scratches were a big problem for them. I'm wondering if the key is whether you seal/finish/oil the deck. He didn't know much about Ipe but happened to write in his email the following:

I'd probably go with a composite. The ironwood is really nice but it does tend to scratch somewhat and turn gray over time. Apparently applying something called Pentofin once a year keeps it looking nice but I've yet to do that.

So... has anyone else see a scratching issue with Ipe when they do stain or seal it? I'm not into the greying thing.

We were planning to oil it with the Bio-Wash Natural Deck Oil (we're not up to the level of effort your TWP recommendation would take, John :-)).

Thanks!

Britt

Comments (8)