SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grullablue

using 2x8 treated lumber?

grullablue
13 years ago

Let me first tell you I have very little construction knowledge. My husband is in construction by trade (20 years), but he does barns, sheds, etc. We have an existing deck on our house that needs a complete overhaul. It's pretty nasty. The frame underneath is in great shape, but the old boards need to come off. The boards currently on it are 2x4's. (not deck boards, regular boards, which hubby tells me deck boards are thinner).

He is talking about going with 2x8's. Most decks I have seen have 2x6's on them, and I'm figuring there must be a reason I have not yet seen a deck with boards wider than that. Is there a reason we should NOT use 2x8? So far, I'm just going by my lack of knowledge, and hubby's knowledge in his regular construction. I read about "cupping" or something....would this be a problem with the wider boards? If we used 2x8's, it would be cheaper for us than if we were to go with 2x6's, and we really don't want to put 2x4's on there again. Don't see the point in going with such narrow boards. So, 2x6 or 2x8 is our option (regular treated boards, not decking material).

This deck would be simple...and 16 x 10. Like I said, we already have the frame, and have started taking the old boards off. But 2x8 is what it's going to be unless I find a reason not to...and it just concerns me that I don't see any decks around here using 2x8's.

BTW, I do plan to help with this project...I do have an interest in learning more...I can use a power drill, and hammer a nail pretty well...so there is hope for me yet! =)

Angie

Comments (21)