SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

How to remove dried adhesive from unfinished wood floors?

juddgirl2
14 years ago

This is my third try posting so sorry if it's a duplicate. My computer keeps closing the window (stupid Vista operating system).

We're just finishing the install of our unfinished Carlisle hardwood floors, which are glued to a concrete slab (with moisture barrier between concrete and adhesive). Now we're getting ready to stain.

I had read horror stories of stain not taking over undiscovered adhesive and had planned to wipe down entire floor with mineral spirits to remove any obscure glue splatters right before staining. Unfortunately, I waited until long after we installed the first three rows to read the adhesive fine print and discovered it's only removable with mineral spirits before it cures.

We've always been very careful and I've been cleaning as we go since then but I'm afraid the stain won't take for dried glue on that first run (which is in the most conspicuous location in the house!). There are a few smudges and an area where glue came up between the end pieces, which was weighted down overnight.

I've tried Goof Off and sanding for some dried glue on a sample board but neither seems to work that great and those sections still aren't taking the stain very well. I'd rather not sand too much because these floors aren't supposed to be be extremely smooth.

I'll post on flooring also but any suggestions from the decorating/remodeling experts here?

Comments (11)