SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennyology

Ipe decking quality - pictures attached

jennyology
11 years ago

I've spent a long time researching ipe here on gardenweb and elsewhere, and finally made the decision to go with it. We bought our decking boards from a local company known for their quality hardwoods.

Our contractor began installing today and set aside about 8 boards (out of a total of 41) which he feels are of unacceptable quality for our deck. Mainly for "chatter" and a few gauges he doesn't believe can be sanded out.

I'm not looking for perfection in my decking boards - I just want to stave off any problems in the future, or avoid having areas that might be a nuisance when finishing.

Here is a photo of one board that's already been cut - I'm thinking of replacing it. Is this something any of you might be OK with, or would you agree with me and prefer to replace it?

Here's another board we'll return. It looks like an issue from the mill - can anyone explain to me what this is?

Here are a few other images - I'm just curious to know if this is par for the course in ipe decking or if they really should be exchanged (especially since I was supposed to be receiving a premium product).

The board in the middle of this photo has a strange darker area - my contractor thinks it's fine and can be sanded out/blend in with the oil finish. I'm worried it's something like a smudge of anchorseal from the lumber yard:

Thanks!

Comments (12)