SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mkiv808_gw

8' ceilings: 36' or 30' top cabinets?

mkiv808
14 years ago

Alright, so I have to make a decision on this TONIGHT. I'm buying a new house and having the cabinets upgraded. It was one thing I just didn't like about the house and figured I might as well spend the money now vs. later, especially as it's going to be a lot cheaper to do it through the builder.

So, here are the current 30" cabinets:

{{!gwi}}

The new ones will be shaker style, dark cherry-like finish on maple.

I have 30" cabinets now in my old place, and I just feel like they don't hold enough. Also, I don't think the big gap looks right in that kitchen. Also, I would NEVER put things on top of the cabinets, it's just not my style; I like things to be clean and simple.

With 36", the gap would surely be small. I can't drop the cabinets at all because of the 72" fridge that will under the cabinets. The kitchen installer suggested I not do 36" as I wouldn't have much space between the molding and the ceiling. I could always fill that gap in the future if it looked weird?

What do you all think? I'm leaning towards the 36" just because I don't think the 30" is very pleasing aesthetically nor spacious enough. But I don't want to make a big mistake either! I also thought about staggering - maybe the cabinets to the left of the sink, above the stove, and above the fridge are taller but the rest are 30"?

Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (12)