SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jill430

Kitchen Island Design

jill430
10 years ago

We are building a new home and I'm struggling with a design for a kitchen island. I would really appreciate some advice! The dimensions of our kitchen will be 19'8" by 13'4" (see attached picture but please note the entrance to the dining room has been moved to where the pantry door is and the hallway closed off to provide more wall space on this side). I would like to keep the island in area of the kitchen with the cupboards and leave the breakfast nook area open for a small table. That leaves a space approximately 12' by 13'4" to place the island. I would like to use the island for a prep area (preferably allowing me to face the nook) as well as a place for my son to sit and help me bake, do homework, etc. I've also attached a few drawings (I hope they are legible!) with some possibilities I was playing around with. I originally planned for a 48" by 36" island but this only allowed 32" clearance on the walkway sides. I've read that 36" is minimum so I reduced the width to 40". I think this will make fitting two stools tight. Another option would be a 32" by 63" island turned the opposite way. This allows a 48" clearance from the fridge and 40" clearance from the dishwasher and wall oven but would not allow seating which I really hoped to have. Could anyone offer any suggestions? Or experience with their own islands/clearances? Thank you!
Floor Plan:

Option 1:
{{gwi:1745664}}
Option 2:
{{gwi:1745667}}

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath