SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikomum_gw

Making progress...s-l-o-w-l-y

mikomum
13 years ago

We're slowly creeping along. Our addition plans are all finalized and we're *still* waiting on our development permit. Living in a tiny town has it's advantages and disadvantages. Case in point the office staff in our town office can't walk and chew bubble-gum. They have now had 3+ weeks to get our development permit into the local paper (in case anyone contests it). I'm sure nobody will contest it, we're on a corner lot, we own the house (my studio) next door and we aren't changing anyone's sightlines. The town is possibly changing the company they are using for building permits so I'm *trying* to get through with the old company as there will be a few weeks of limbo, I'm sure and I don't want to waste time.

We still have 3 feet of snow on the ground so it will be a bit yet! My GC is still working on costs so I'm rather nervous as to what his final numbers will be.

I got a great deal on exterior stacked stone from our neighbor who fashions himself a home builder. He bought 8 pallets at auction and he only needs 4 so he's selling the rock to me at 8cents a piece compared to the $1.09 price that it retails for. I had wanted fieldstone but it's not easy to get here and would be MUCH more $$$.

I haven't finalized our kitchen but we're about 90% of the way there thanks to the excellent help & feedback here. We're going with Ikea Adel Medium Brown Birch which pulls the darkest ginger colors from our natural birch floor. Our GC suggested that DH and I could assemble the cupboards and he would install them to save a bit on budget. I'm not having any luck finding a granite yard that will allow us to supply our own templates and have our GC install. I guess this is the reason he usually orders granite from a local home building store (but there isn't as many interesting options!) I'd give my eye-teeth for soapstone but there isn't a hope in He double hockey sticks that we'd be able to source it.

I got some good news this morning! We have to get rid of our existing detached garage for this reno and I hated the thought of having to demo it as it's an old but solid stucco and wood structure with newer shingles. A friend's BIL is going to move it to their property! It will save us the cost of demo and I will feel much less wasteful. I've got to figure out how to get the electricity and gas shut off to it. The gas line runs into the garage then back out and crosses under 14ft of lawn to our house. The reno will cover that area anyway so we'll have to get the line re-routed anyhow.

If you could keep your fingers crossed for me for an early spring, that would be much appreciated. I just want to get going!!!

Comments (4)