SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mongoct

ASME heater worth it?

MongoCT
14 years ago

Need a new pool heater and my reading is leading me towards Raypak.

I live in CT, my pool is used from May to November. Went swimming today as a matter of fact!

Pool is 20' by 40', 3-1/2' to 6-1/2' to 3-1/2' deep. With spa, NO SALT. Propane heat. The pool has dark gray plaster, so the sun warms it nicely. I usually only heat the pool a couple of times a year when the kids have an early spring or late fall pool party. During summer the sunshine keeps it in the high 80s. No solar setup just the sunshine itself.

We use the spa 5-7 days/nights a week and the heater is used for that.

I'm leaning towards the ASME version of the Raypak 406A, CR-406A-EP-C, #009279. Called Raypak to get a local sales/installation shop, the local shop keeps trying to talk me out of the ASME. With no real justification other than "you really don't need that".

I have no water problems and keep everything within chem tolerances.

I don't want Lo-Nox, I don't want Cupro-nickel. Just the ASME with the copper HX.

Now I'm certainly not one to throw money away, but I'd like to get something durable that will work well for my setup.

If they won't sell one to me I'm probably going to (gasp) order it online and either install it myself or have my propane supplier come out and make the connections.

I'm not particularly concerned with the warranty. Parts only for one year. Whoop-dee-doo!

So for you equipment gurus, is the ASME version such a bad thing for residential? Would a homeowner who takes good care of his pool be off-base for wanting one?

Appreciate any ideas, thanks!

Comments (6)