SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alb1k

ipe warning

alb1k
16 years ago

Hi all,

Just a new experience to share. I finished my ipe deck about 2 weeks ago, and then recoated 1 week ago with TWP 516. I have an ongoing project (BBQ island) that is in progress on the deck. To protect the new stain and ipe, I covered the area around the island with that heavy light brown paper (masonite?, maybe not). Anyway, I used the blue painter's tape to hold the paper down. The tape and paper have been down for 1 day.

My dog,has been running all over the deck but has not scratched or affected the stain in any way. It has seemed bullet-proof. But wait.

The same dog likes to chew paper, she tore up some of the paper I put down and I noticed that wherever the tape was in contact with the deck, it pulled the stain clear out. I just pulled all of the paper up and it looks like someone got a sunburn, except for where they put tape on their body. Stained wood, bare wood, not a pretty pattern,

I would post a picture now, but it's already dark outside.

Maybe the stain wasn't completely dry, but you could cook on my deck for the past two weeks, so I don't know. Maybe our professionals have some thoughts on that.

Anyway, my new advice is not to use tape of any kind on a new deck. I will repost when I figure out how to fix the problem. My first shot will be, test an area with a TWP re-apply, quickly hand rub with a cloth.

Comments (14)