SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbedelman_gw

Intelliflo Power Consumption

sbedelman
13 years ago

There is an ongoing thread about whether or not owners who replace their pump with an Intelliflo save any money. I'm starting this as a new thread because it concerns a new installation designed from the beginning to minimize energy consumption.

I've just started to run the system and thought a first pass at the numbers might be interesting to those thinking about low power design.

First some background. The pool is about 30,000 gallons so assuming one turn per day (which I can talk about later) running 24/7 the pump needs to run at least 21 gpm. The setup has 4 floor returns, a main drain, suction from the skimmers and return to the skimmers (for venturi). For the initial run I've set the system to run with both the floor and skimmer returns on and both the main drain and skimmer suction on.

Here's the numbers...

gpm watts pressure

15 133 2.0

20 145 2.0

25 165 2.5

30 191 3.0

35 240 3.5

40 295 5.0

45 370 6.0

50 500 7.0

First off I wouldn't put too much faith in the back pressure numbers. The reading are such a small percentage of full scale that they could easily be off by 25-50% at the low end. Still, they are useful if for nothing else to see how easy it is to build an extremely low head system.

Second the power numbers are read off the unit itself not from a calibrated watt-meter so I would expect these to contain some error however they give at least a general idea of what can expect. Note that at such low head the power curve as one increases the flow from 15 to 30 gpm is extremely shallow. This is consistent with Pentairs published curves for the pump so not unexpected.

Based on these numbers running an Intelliflo at 1 turn/day would cost under $10/mo in electricity. That number would increase slightly if one had a high output heater since those require slightly higher flow rates, but even assuming a heat loss of 500,000 btu/day the difference would be well under $1/mo.

What these number don't include would be the cost of running any water fixtures, pressure cleaners or the venturi skimmers. I'll be testing the last of these next and will post the results as soon as I have them.

Comment (1)