SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harrispool

plumbing questions

harrispool
14 years ago

I have a few questions regarding the plumbing specs for my pool build. First the specs and the I'll ask the questions:

Pool plumbing specs:

1. install MP style auto fill with PVB valve from closets hose bib

2. one surface skimmer with 2 1/2" suction

3. 2" main drain from deep end of pool to skimmer

4. install dedicated suction line for pool cleaner with jandy valve

5. install three pool return lines

6. Eight spa jets at various locations

7. 3" spa suction, 3" return and 2" air line thru jets/common manifold

8. 2" spa bypass with jandy valve for spa spillway

9. 2" sheer descent suction, 2" return for two 18" sheer descents

1. install intellichlor 40k salt system

Here is the equipment

1. Pentair "easytouch" 8SC-IC40 with 40k salt

2. easytouch 8 function wireless remote

3. 400,000 BTU Penatir Master Temp electronic heater

4. Pentair SMBW 4060 sqf DE filter with backwash valve

5. Pentair 4x160 variable speed circulation/jet pump

6. Pentair "whisperflo" 1hp sheer descent pump

7. Two lights choice of SAM, SAL or "Intellibrite"LED

Now the questions:

1. My spa is raised 18" and has two spills about 15" each. I'm concerned I may not get a powerful flow through the spills? I wanted the variable speed pump so I could run the circulation at low speed to save on energy, but then maybe the water will just be a dribble out of the spa which will lead to calcium buildup issues.

2. What do you think they mean by installing a 2" spa bypass with jandy valve for spa spillway? Does this mean I will be able to run just the spa spillways without having to run the pool as well? When I look in the spa I only see the two main drains and the 8 jets.

3. How is the spa water heated separate from the pool water? Does the heated water come through the 8 jets.

4. does the spa have to spill over to clean properly? If so, again I'm concerned at low speed it will dribble over. Can I have a separate pump for the spa that I run to clean the spa at a higher speed for a certain period of time and then I run only the pool circulation at a lower speed for several hours to save on energy?

5. we are planning on a pebble finish, so which light choice do you recommend. I like the idea of colored lights but I'm concerned it will not work well with the pebble and maybe I should just go with a white light.

6. any recommendations for a pool cleaner to attache to the dedicated suction line.

Thank you for any advice you may offer

Comments (6)