SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

Looking for deck staining advice.

kellienoelle
11 years ago

Hello all - I moved into a new house several weeks ago and we are planning on staining our deck. Now our last house had a maintenance free composite deck, so this is all new to us. The deck/screened in porch were built when the house was remodeled in 2009, far as we can tell it is cedar, and are uncertain if it has been sealed/treated in anyway in the past. It gets quite a bit of sun.

I have a couple questions. First, what is best process to stain? What type of treatment should we do to prepare it? What products should we look at?
Second (and I realize this is a personal preference question), how would you treat the screened in porch area? It is obviously all connected but the deck will be getting a ton more sun and fade much faster than the screened in porch. I can't decide if we should just stain the whole thing, or paint some of porch area the same color as the trim of the house to tie it in better. In particular the posts and the fascia board. If we did this, would we continue this to the deck as well?

What would you do?

Comments (10)