SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
courtsansone

SWCG...Ozonator...Mineral Cartridge...help this all make sense!

courtsansone
16 years ago

We are working on finalizing plans for a freeform gunite pool and I am really confused on some of the options being offered....I want to know what people have in their own pools. This is our first pool to own.

Our builder is offering the following options...any combination or all or none. What would you choose and are any of them useless without the others?

"Smart Pure"

Salt Water Chlorine Generator

Ozonator Ozone Generator

Mineral Cartridge pool filter

If you choose the SWCG why would you also need the ozone generator....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Comments (3)

• tresw
    16 years ago

I think most believe ozonators don't do much. Even my PB said it wasn't worth bothering with! The concept is the water is purified by being passed in front of a UV lamp. But studies show that the water needs to be exposed to the UV rays for a long period of time to be cleaned, much longer than happens in typical pool circulation. Most ozonators are used in conjunction with SWG or inline chlorinators.

I believe SmartPure is a manufacturer of ozonators, so comments would be the same as above.

SWGs are very popular. Most people that have them rave about the "soft skin" feeling it gives, plus it generates chlorine from the salt so you don't have to deal with adding chlorine.

There are a couple of active threads regarding SWGs, you might read those for pros and cons.

• bf-tx
    16 years ago

Ozonators and UV are being confused here tresw.
    True ozone is produced by passing air (oxygen) across UV but from that point it is injected into the water versus a UV disinfection unit allows the pool water to pass by it partially disinfecting the water.

Ozone is made from Oxygen or O2, which is converted through electricity to Ozone or O3. Ozone is a much more powerful oxidant than chlorine. However, the "shelf life" of Ozone is limited. It must be manufactured and used on-site. This is done through Ozone Generators which convert Oxygen in the air into Ozone.

As well, Ozone is considered a "short-term" disinfectant and chlorine is considered a "long-term" disinfectant. Chlorine is also an entrenched technology. It has been widely used in North America and was first adopted at the turn of the century. It is still the reigning champion of disinfection and has many supporters in the chemical and swimming pool industries.

Many people would argue that the cost of equipment required to supply the adequate germicidal properties and the requirements for it to operate far outways its benefit.

However many users have benefited from ozone with a minimal or less sanitizer.

• Rack Etear
    16 years ago

All above are excellent points. Ozone is typically oversold, however good ozone units serve a purpose, and should not be overlooked if your pool has special requirements (heavy bather load, and or undersized filtration).

Chlorine is still our most realiable sanitizer and far cheaper than any of the alternative methods (including salt).

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals