SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dadoftnt

what to do with ipe deck??? Stain, treatment?

dadoftnt
17 years ago

New to this type of open forum but have been reading many postings for quite some time. Sincerely appreciate everyone's candid advice and information. I've attached a photo of my ipe deck after it was stained, painted, and treated 2 years ago. I was told by the painter that I would not have to do anything to the deck for 3 years to maintain this color/appearance. Boy was he wrong! After several months, the ipe deck started to turn silver/grey, which I knew would happen if left untreated (which is why I had it treated b/c I love the look, color, grain of the ipe). I'm at my wit's end in terms of hwat to do next. I want my deck back to its original color but want to make sure that I can speak intelligently to the next contractor I hire to treat.stain my deck. Has anyone recently treated/stained an ipe deck? What is the best product to use that will provide the best color, protection, appearance, etc...? Do I need to have the deck sanded first? Or power washed? Completely clueless as to what needs to be done. Anyone have an idea regarding price range/estimate for a job this size? Any advice, info would be greatly appreciated. As I side note, I live in Long Island (south shore) so I assume that estimated will be alittle bit on the higher side. Thanks again for any advice!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/199271721/1200072069051912003hsQdKq#

Comments (18)