SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grinder12000

Composite (xtra $3,600) vs. Wood

grinder12000
17 years ago

The age old question.

We have about 312 sq feet of deck going in/up and I asked about getting Trex (??) composite instead of wood.

The quote was

Install Trex (composite) decking, rails, spindles and posts in lieu of treated. Structure remains treated lumber. Add $3,590.00

Install Trex decking with standard treated rails, spindles and posts. Structure remains treated lumber. Add $1,637.00

I'm sure we will be going with the decking and are wondering if the extra $1,953 for the rails, spindles and posts is cost effective?

The deck will face due south with zero shade (for a few more years).

Opinions??

Here is a link that might be useful: Our humble brand new home construction

Comments (13)

• grinder12000
    Original Author
    17 years ago

To answer my own questions!!

It SEEMS composite is not the way to go and it has it's own set of problems.

After reading hundreds of posts and a few healthy articles - we're going with wood all the way.

The key is that a 5 year old composite deck will look like a 5 year old composite deck.

Plus - wood is better for the environment. Not that that is a HUGE deal but . . . . . . .

• shadow700
    17 years ago

Plus - wood is better for the environment. Not that that is a HUGE deal but . . . . . . .

Actually, all local and national green building organizations would disagree with that statement. They all only give credit for composites that use recycled material as the majority feed stock into the build process.

Contrary to what a lot of people believe, one of the worst woods to use (with regards to environmental impact) is Ipe since it is not sustainably harvested and is grown so far away.

• steve_a
    17 years ago

I just picked up a Trex sheet and it states that it is made from recycled and reclaimed wood and plastic. Do the green organizations mentioned above give Trex top credit for environmental purposes? What are other products that are recommended for that purpose, or can you point me to a website? Thanks, Steve

• redhare
    17 years ago

Check out www.rainforestrelief.org for info on green building materials and illegal harvesting of tropical rainforests

• shadow700
    17 years ago

Trex is the only one I've come across in certification, probably because of its high post consumer content - which is something you have to account for when calculating new material reduction for green building certification.

You can look up values for most products here:
    http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/RCP/

Note that if a widely available product is not listed, it usually doesn't have any or little recycled content.

• steve_a
    17 years ago

Thanks, Redhare and shadow.

• martin_carthage
    17 years ago

When you decide to add a deck, you are investing in the value of your home. The increased outdoor living area will add value, and it can have a good return on investment. The return on this investment will generally be greater if you choose a composite, because a composite is more durable. Given an equivalent amount of maintenance, in 10 years, if you add a pressure treated deck, you'll probably have 30% of the amount you spent in added home valuation. If composite, you'll probably have 130%. So adding the composite can be a good investment.

For the railings - railings are maintenance headaches. I'd almost argue for a composite railing before the deck, if you have a limited budget. If nothing else, ask for a composite cap rail - kids tend to run their hands along the top of a railing, and the splinters can be dangerous.

• rhale
    17 years ago

The answer is a simple one, but let me give you another example. I have lived in my home in So Cal for almost 30 years and have installed three roofs. Had I installed my new metal roof the first time it would still have 70 years of life remaining.

I have a deck and rail system that was originally installed in the mid 70's, I rebuilt it in the early 90's. Had the person who originally installed it used composit materials in the first place, all of my repair and remodel money could have been better spent on a cruse.

$3,600 is real cheap amortized over 50 + years!

• alisonn
    17 years ago

I got a Trex deck for my 40th birthday. I'm pushing 47 this summer and I have no regrets that we spent the extra money. At the time, I urged my husband to get the Trex, since he would rather be fishing than maintaining things around the house. The only thing we've done is power wash it. If it is less asthetically pleasing than a real wood deck, I have to tell you that I haven't noticed it. I'm especially happy that I don't have to think about splinters when I go outside in my bare feet.

By the way, the railings are treated wood. They are hurting at this point. Wish they were Trex.

• propertytaxrevolt
    17 years ago

I am installing composite over a concrete porch to give it an old house look; and it didn't really cost that much extra if you do it yourself. The treated pine 1 X 6 boards would rot in 5 or 6 years, plus they crack and look awful.
    Go for the xtra $3,600 and play it safe.

• jas0n
    17 years ago

Before you decide on Trex or any other composite for that matter take my advice and do more research!

We completed our 430 sq. ft. deck a week ago and originally had planned to use Trex but after a lot of reading we decided to use ipe instead. Ipe was only a little more money but it gave us the option to do a little yearly work to keep its rich color or to do absolutely nothing to it and let it turn the same silver that most composites end up turning in time. We live in a neighborhood of many similar houses and wanted ours to be different. The area is very wooded and very natural looking so we wanted a rich, natural wood addition to our backyard. The deck is built around a spa so we were also concerned with splinters, ipe has a very tight grain and doesn't splinter at all. We were also looking for longevity, we plan to stay here for a while and don't want to be doing this again ever.

Our biggest issue with Trex (other than the mildew spotting that can't be removed, the cracking/splitting, and horrible customer service issues that many people have with it) was that when it fades the only thing you can do to get the original color back is replace it. Our neighbors just used it on their deck and love the way it looks, today anyway, in 5 years when its color has completely faded we'll see what they think.

As for the environmental impact of using ipe, this is my opinion and is probably quite debatable in a forum like this. It makes more sense to use up wood that will last 40+ years once than wood that lasts 15 years multiple times or composite wood made using petroleum and will likely be replaced (and put in a landfill never to rot or degrade) by real wood within that same timeframe.

For us it was easy to justify the extra money for ipe.

• grinder12000
    Original Author
    17 years ago

After reading hundreds of posts and talking to a good number of deck builders we're going with wood.

The problem is that since we will be facing due south with no shade a composite deck will basically melt our feet in the summer. It will be very soft and frankly - after looking at all the composites available, they just look like plastic.

I was sort of turned off by the composite look. Plus the fact that NOW there are special sprays that are being developed to make composite look "new" again.

hmmmm - isn't that the reason people were trying to get away from wood??

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

Jas and Grinder I could not have said it any beter.Using Composite is a Gamble,like drawing on an inside straight.

As it stands now,Ipe/garapa is more "green" lasts longer,has fewer maiantance issues and looks a hell of a lot better than any of the man made material.

When I go out to the first pass on a Bid info on the class t= junk action as well as the posts over here on the new trex go with me, I just lay out the facts and let the Wallet decide. I also include info on TimberTech my fall back material if the Wallet wants man made no matter what. TT T&G is some good stuff far as composites go but it has its problems and has got to be installed carefully and on the right job, even then it has its problems.

Most of the time The Wallet goes with ipe if they are looking for an upgrade project. The down side to Biding this way is it looks to some Folks some of the time like I am pushing the S American material and I come off like a car salesmen,same kinda thing I get over here but facts is facts and I am sticking to Em. J