SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

DH Fell in Love w Blackish Granite (Slaps Forehead!)

drjoann
14 years ago

Mebbie, its DH's forehead I should be slapping, but ... After all of the angst over him not liking dark countertops, we just got back from a week in SC visiting suppliers, etc. prior to breaking ground & he absolutely fell in love with Marinus for our kitchen countertops.

It is very dark with cream areas and even blue. The Marinus slabs were pretty tightly packed, but the fellow at the slab yard said that it does read very blue like the night sky in deep twilight. I kinda wedged myself in there for a very close look and there are spots of transparent quartz which are like an iolite blue. Yum! Best news is that they fit the budget. Here are pictures of a slab and a detail:

I would still like to have the island baking center in slate. Do y'all think its OK to have two different blacks since the slate is fairly uniform and a honed finish and the granite has movement and is polished?

I showed the cabinet maker pictures of redroze's kitchen and he is onboard with doing the uppers as inset and the base cabinets without stiles for the lower drawers. I really love that look with the top drawer as a slab and the others as recessed panels.

Everywhere we went, the suppliers said things like "Oh, you just have to do that in chrome to fit the kitchen." We kept asking them to tell that to the builder. The whole chrome thing is now a running joke with the builder.

I just saw that Amerock has a collection which they bill as "Cottage-chic meets a New England twist" and is a transitional style. I was wondering if I should also go in the transitional direction with the lighting since we are kinda putting a twist on the "ideal" traditional white kitchen?

Anyway, I think we have a really good start so any hints, tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jo Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Amerock Highland Ridge

Comments (12)