SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Four Years of New Kitchen Report--Kitchen Side

10 years ago

Hi Everyone!

A friend convinced me to post updates. I put a long post in Appliances about how those are doing. The medium-short answer is other than a couple of small hiccups they're performing as expected and will do everything I want. I didn't get Trailrunner's fancy built-in fryer because I don't fry much, though I think I might do more if I had that quality of fryer. I also didn't get the built-in teppanyaki that I had originally wanted, but I think I've been able to do most everything I would have wanted it for using carbon steel pans. I also have a new, round large griddle that should do for anything larger. Other than those omissions for which I didn't have the space or burning need, I did get everything I wanted, and it's all working great.

Most importantly, the layout of the kitchen, and how I've been able to adapt it to my cooking style, are worth every day of the year of planning I did here. The only thing I could have wished for was more upper cabinets. Moving and enlarging the window, and putting in a large hood, however, both of which took up a lot of the available wall space, were absolutely the right things to do, and a worthy trade-off. There is nothing else that has made me say, "I wish I had..."

So, really, I don't know if I have anything useful to say that's new from when I was a regular poster, other than, especially if this is your forever kitchen, stick to your guns, save your money so you can have a realistic budget when you start, get everything you really want, and don't rush the planning. Let it work itself out. Pay close attention to how you really cook, and make sure your plan matches that. Don't scrimp on space. Find alternate storage for least used items, but keep the stuff you need easily accessible. Plan for how the kitchen works with only one cook, even if you almost always have many. Plan for how to have half a dozen people cooking even if you usually have one. Plan, plan, plan. Listen to the good advice and plan some more. Then stick to the plan. Find out what's behind the walls before you finalize your plans and make sure you plan for things that go awry.

I couldn't be happier with my kitchen. It's sunny, happy, clam, colorful, warm, and most importantly, useful. I can do anything in it. The caterers are at ease in it. The whole family can stand around and cook together in it. Whether it's lunch for three or a feast for thirty, cooking is no problem.

So, is this an update? I don't know. I've been trying for four days to come up with something to say. If you have any questions, ask away!

Comments (7)