SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harveymasons

1 pipe steam to 2 pipe hot water conversion?

harveymasons
17 years ago

I have a 4 family house that is currently heated by an old single pipe steam utica boiler. House was built in 1920, the boiler was replaced in the 80s I believe, but the pipes and radiators are original I believe.

I am wondering if I can convert this old system to a more modern hot water system and what is involved. The mains running off the boiler are VERY large in diameter I don't think they can be used for a hot water system, also is there such a thing as a single pipe hot water system or are all hot water system two pipes, one coming into radiator and one return? If I have to convert to a 2 pipe system this will require putting holes in all the floors and ceilings for new pipe runs? IS this a common conversion? What is the best method and or way to do such a conversion, of courseI would hire a contractor to do the work but I am trying tog et ideas and a general game plan first. It seems like there would be alot of work involved putting holes in wals and ceilings, but currently the steam heat system is very uneven, very expensive and a few pipes going to radiators are leaking so I think it is time for an overhaul.

Lastly, the reason I want to do this is currently there is one boiler so I pay the heat, I would like to put in 4 separate units so each tenant pays their own heat so they can put it as high as they want b/c they pay for their own heat.

Any help or comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

p.s I posted this on the heating/air cond. forum as well, sorry for the double post, just not sure which forum it belongs in.

regards,

harvey

Comment (1)