SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kkal474_gw

stamped concrete underdeck patio with retaining wall questions

kkal474
15 years ago

We are in the process of planning the next phase of our backyard and would love a little of your expertise in helping us plan the project.

Summary:

Originally the plan was to put a stamped concrete or paver patio outside the walkout of the house with an area of of approx 400-600 sq ft or so. Actual size will depend on the final layout. We are hoping to have a seating area, freestanding firepit with seating around it, as well as an area for the hot tub. Onto the patio would descend the steps from the deck. We held off on building the deck steps until we figured out the patio so that still needs to be done We would have to build a retaining wall next to the patio on the deck side because of the amount of dirt underneath the two story deck (basement is a 9 foot pour).

Sorry the color of the pics is off. Not quite sure why that is but everything is alot pinker than it actually is!!!

As a result of this we are considering the following dependent on options and of course price.

1. dig out the space underneath the deck, install a cinderblock retaining wall at the end and on the side opposite the house and face it with leftover brick matching the house. Would poured concrete be possible under the deck? Would it be better?

2. Install a system that would allow the space underneath the deck to remain dry and allow for installation of lighting and electronics. Any suggestions on systems and approximate costs? Would prefer to DIY as much as possible.

3. Consider installing and second french door exit to the basement under the deck-would probably have to consult with a structural engineer to make sure our load bearing remains adequate.

4. Most likely a poured stamped concrete patio that would encompass the area under the deck as well as the open area. Total square feet is probably between 800 and 1000 sq feet if I had to guess

5. Also considering building a retaining wall that will extend across the property to the woods behind us and use the dirt from underneath the deck to level out the yard a bit.

I realize that these are pretty ambitious goals and may need to be completed in a couple of phases. The one benefit we have is that we have a family member that has offered multiple times do help us out with concrete work and a substantial discount so we would be saving some money there. We would like to do as much of this ourselves as possible and are trying to get some realistic estimates of both the feasibility of the project as well as the cost of such an endeavor. I thank you for taking the time to read my post and look forward to hearing any suggestions that you might have.

Thank you

Kristen

Comment (1)