SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
masterofnone_gw

Ist post.... Hi....Help.... Plumbing 101?

masterofnone
17 years ago

This is my first post here and I start out with a problem. I suppose many join these ranks this way; through some need.

I've got well pump gremlins. Started with the pump kicking off and on repeatedly. When I turned the pump off it lost prime. I pulled the lines, with the foot valve and found the vlave looking like a barnicle. Ahhhh. Obviously the problem since the pump had just been R&R in May 06. The pump is rated to 90' and a 110 v 1/2hp 110gpm unit. It has only seen moderate use as we just got BACK in the house in Sept. This is not my first rodeo with this as I've lived here 33 years; save for the last 3. This IS the first time I've had this happen.

I R&R foot valve assy. Inc: 1-Foot valve, 1 - 6"x1/14 double threaded pipe (Valve / cast iron Y union) 1 castiron Y union, 1 - 1 1/4 Threaded / barbed, brass fitting, 1 - 1" Threaded / barbed brass fitting (the latter two fittings couple the Y union to the two pump lines.)

I have 15'+ of water showing on two 55'to 60'pump lines. These I checked and found no leaks in the two well pump lines. I Did not replace these.

I slid the completed valve / line assy into the 60'+ x 3' bored well.

I then even pulled it back out and checked for mud on foot valve. None was found.

I filled lines prior to replacing the valve assy back in the well, observing that water flowed between the Y body but not out of the new foot valve. This was then slid back into the well.

I replaced all hoses and secured them. Connected electric leads.

Pulled pump body fill plug and topped water off and replaced plug.

Turned on Pump. Pump motor works and turns vein, but will not take the prime. Churns water but thats about it.

OK. I figured though the defuser may be turning but there may have been a clearence problem. R&R a NEW pump unit. Topped off with water. Turned on pump with the same results.

This would seem to go against the laws of fluid dynamics. But it should be just Plumbing 101. Is there somthing I'm over looking? If there are any questions I haven't covered ask. PLEASE HELP! I'm already going bald this ain't helping.

Comments (6)

• bus_driver
    17 years ago

"Could not take the prime". Priming a jet pump consists of filling the pipes between the bottom of the well and the pump. If these pipes stay full, the pump is primed. But that does not mean that it will actually pump. Sounds as if brass adapters are screwed into a cast iron venturi body ( the jet). BAD! Electrolysis is assured! May look like barnacles! Non-metallic adapters are available and recommended. Use two 100% stainless steel clamps at each poly pipe connection to the adapters. Stainless steel poly pipe adapters are available, but often hard to find. In the well, the foot valve is frequently brass. I use Schedule 80 threaded PVC to isolate the cast iron and the brass at the foot valve. No dissimilar metals should be touching each other, but stainless steel typically is OK against cast iron and often compatible with brass. The venturi itself is the smallest passage within the jet body and often catches debris. If such is lodged in the venturi, it will pump poorly or not at all. Remember, the foot valve holds the prime, the venturi does the pumping.

• masterofnone
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I understand the unlike metal thing and came within a hair of going plastic with these. But this has no direct bearing on why this bloody thing won't pump. Two years from now maybe...But by then I might be dead and not have to deal with it. So this leaves trash in the venturi? Is there a check for this that wouldn't require pulling the whole deal back out? A week ago I just had a gall baldder operation and this whole things been rough on the empty space left by it removal. Is it possible the pump itself is turning backwards? If so what should be done to check and rectify that?

• bus_driver
    17 years ago

The venturi must be accessible and clearly visible- held in your hands- for inspection. The pump motor is not turning backward unless it has had the internal connections changed. Even a pinhole eaten by electrolysis in one of the poly pipe adapters can prevent the system from working. A good pressure gauge is mandatory. With the pipes primed and the lines away from the tank to the house shut off, the system should hold pressure without dropping. Use an air compressor if necessary and put 50 PSI on the system. If the pressure drops ANY within an hour, there is a leak in the well pipes and/or associated fittings. If it holds pressure and still will not pump, the prime (pun) suspect is a clogged venturi.

• masterofnone
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK.... I knew this had to be due to my own ignorance. The foot valve was new out of the box, as was the venturi body. Only thing was the body was missing the vinturi tube. I've always bought an assembly prior to this and never had to consider the innards of the beast prior to now. Although its renewal started the pump working; when my step son pulled the lines, again, yesterday he did it on his own. This evidently kinked the lines and somewhere allowed a leak we naturally didn't catch until we tried to maintian water pressure. I still ended up R&R the lines with new. It finally primed up after the second attempt and we now have ("XXXX" knock wood) water for the first time in 5 days. And yes one of them was Christmas Day as well as Eve. So....Hopefully ends the "Christmas Ordeal" as it will be remembered around our house for sometime to come. It actually started Thanksgiving when the new fridge went out. For and early B-Day present I went to the ER with Gallbladder problems. Suppose we dare to try a New Years Party?

• masterofnone
    Original Author
    17 years ago

When I was getting my balloon liscence (LTAHAB) my instructor referred to it as "negative learning." It does stay with you better.

What'd I learn?

The venturi body has a reed tube in it and if it doesn't it won't work.

Everytime you have to pull the lines you risk screwing them up. It's better to have two people pulling than one.

Murphy's Laws were written by a plumber.