SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mym2222

Convert a 2nd level deck into a concrete deck/patio

mym2222
16 years ago

I have posted my question to another thread that was started several years ago, and thought I really should have started a new one.

My deck is two stories high (about 10'), it has south and west exposure that equates to 8 hrs of sun. Which also means we need to spend money quite frequently to maintain it. Right now I need to have it rebuild. I need your assistance to see if I can convert this deck into a concrete deck? huge balcony? high patio?(Not sure what is the correct term).

I am not able to find anything on the internet, most frustrating! There are info for above ground deck for pool, building a deck over a patio, or anything there is a mention of patio it is always on the first floor.

Before this I have decided on using composites material. I searched on the internet one last time before the project starts, and I have found comments from people that have stopped me in the track. It seems it is not a good alternatives. It is LESS maintenance, not NO maintenance. Unlike wood deck when the wood deck gets old it could be repainted and restain to look new. When the composite deck gets old, it will stay looking old and beat up. So what is the point of spending so much more money on having a composite deck and still have it repainted, to start the whole maintenance cycle again? Also there is the issue of getting moldy if I install the under deck covering. Since this deck is on the 2nd story and I like to use the area under deck it is something I am planning on doing.

Hope I am not alone here?!!!

Comments (9)