SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marklevinson1

Digging out for an above-ground pool

marklevinson1
17 years ago

Hi folks,

We were recently offered a 21 ft. round above-ground pool. We have finally decided on the best location for pool in our yard. It will be located in front of the shed in the picture. Unfortunately it does have a slope so we will have to dig into the hilly part about 1.5 feet deep to level out the ground. As you can see there are a couple of spots that have no grass that I thought it would be a good idea to transplant some of the grass I am removing to those spots. Well after spending some time turning over all the soil in the round area and then starting to dig up a small amount of sod I realized just how daunting this task is.

Now I am wondering whether I want to preserve all this sod. Maybe it is too much work. Maybe I should just do grass seed in those areas and just dig everything up with a rented Bobcat or something.

Anyone with any ideas on the best way to do this? Anyone used a sod cutter? Even though I don't have a lot to spend on rental equipment the thought of doing all this by hand makes me shudder. Also, what do folks do with all the leftover earth if they have no room for it on their property? Thanks for your advice.

Mark

Comments (8)