SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prskier17

Ipe Deck - Fastener/Hardware Material, Structure Questions

prskier17
13 years ago

Hello,

I had planned to keep adding questions to my original post but apparently they don't get "bumped" to the top.... so here's a new post. My layout is nearly done so I'm hoping to creating drawings and apply for the building permit next week. I have several additional questions:

1. Fastener/Harware material: I'm in MN (weather) and am debating between all stainless hardware (joist hangers, etc.) and nails or something like the Simpson ZMAX products. The decking is Ipe which we expect to last a long time and I don't want to have issues with hardware corrosion even after 15-20 years because we plan to live in the house for longer than that. What do the experts think? If stainless... do you have any recommendation of dealers / websites to order from that have good pricing? Additionally... I'm wondering if I should stick with nails for the frame construction of if I should use screws whenever possible.

2. Our home is approx. 5 years old and has engineering floor joists (the deck will connect to a ledger on the main floor but is approx 10 ft off the ground because we have a walkout basement). The inspector for our city told me I can bolt the ledger directly to the floor joists however I've seen many other sources state that I shouldn't do that. One source, bestdecksite.com, shows how to build blocking that is installed between the engineered floor joists and provide a much broaded bolting area. Note: our basement is unfinished so I have easy access to add blocking. Finally, we have a sliding door that is "bumped out" from the house so the floor joists are cantilevered. I understand that I can use a cantilever to attach the deck ledger so I'm planning a frame that can be seen in the link below. I'd really appreciate any feedback from the pro's here regarding my frame layout. (Deck is approx. 14' x 34') The stairs are not shown in the images but will be in the area that has some random looking railing posts.

Thanks again for all the excellent info! This site is awesome. Also... bestdecksite.com is pretty awesome ($10 for a 2 month membership) since it helps with all the calculations including snow loading, etc. which the 4 page handout from our city doesn't even touch upon....

Thanks!

Chris

Comments (12)