SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarschlos_remodeler

How much work to move water heater?

We are planning to reno our 1950s kitchen in a California split-level. The water heater is currently located inside a cabinet in the kitchen. The house is built on a hill, with the garage underneath part of the house (no direct access), but not underneath the kitchen. The house has footers over an unfinished crawl space, and all the plumbing is accessible from the crawl space. Our current water heater is a 50 gal. nat. gas water heater that was installed in approx. 1991. We would like to move the water heater, possibly to a shed outside or to a different corner of the kitchen (we would drywall around the water heater and create an exterior access door so that it is not really "in" the kitchen, but would be in the location of a current gas wall oven along the same wall as the venting and hookups for the existing gas range). The water heater is on the main level of the house, which includes all of the major plumbing: 3 bathrooms, kitchen and laundry area; the other two levels (1/2 flight up and 1/2 flight down from main level) do not have plumbing. By the way, the house is approx. 2471 sq. ft. As much as I like the idea of a tankless water heater, every time I talk to a water heater person, they tell me that the remove as many tankless units as they install and that they often aren't all that they're cracked up to be, so I'm trying to find a solution that keeps the water heater. How involved would a project like this be given the crawl space and access to electrical and gas hookups? Does this sound like an unreasonably expensive proposition?

Comments (7)