SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kgsd_gw

Which cabinet would be better?

kgsd
16 years ago

(First, I'm very sorry I can't take pictures. I can't find the charger for my camera.)

I need to buy 1 or 2 cabinets for my office. One will hold a small TV. I also need to put files and other miscellaneous items (husband's video games, unused computer components, etc) in them. The office is semi-open to the living room (the two are separated by a large red brick pass-through fireplace).

In both rooms, flooring is a hand-scraped mahogany. Walls are cream-colored painted paneling. The decor is a mix of traditional and modern/tailored (think Crate and Barrel). Colors in both rooms are a steel grey-blue with brick red accents. It's a similar effect to this room (bright and mostly neutral) but the adjoining dining room is blue and the rugs have some blue in them.

{{!gwi}}

After a long search for reasonably-priced cabinets that fit our decor scheme, I've found a couple I like. I can't decide between them.

Here's the first. I like it because it picks up the red color in the other room, and it's more distinctive. But it will be hard to find desks that go with these, and I'll have to buy storage boxes to fit all of the files and random junk that I don't want to be seen.

{{!gwi}}

The second would be birch and silver, similar to this but not the exact configuration (I don't like the roll-top section in the middle). I may have the doors be white, as shown on the low one. This one would be far more versatile, with special file drawers, and doors/drawers to hide the miscellaneous items I don't want in full view. It would be easy to find a white, silver and or birch desk to match. Also, this one is much more neutral in case I decide to change the color scheme. But it's just not as interesting.

{{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

Comments (2)