SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
penelope_f

Should I fire my sloppy plumber?

Penelope_F
10 years ago

Hi all,

We're doing a full remodel on our house and we thought that we had found a very reliable and professional plumber. Since yesterday, we're no longer so sure. The first indication of problems was when I noticed he plumbed our washer into the septic line rather than grey water. No problem, a fairly easy fix and everyone makes mistakes right? Well, then I noticed that ALL FOUR of the stub lines coming through the subfloor are seriously crooked -- not vertical -- some nearly 1/2" out over 16". And because of the way the holes are drilled through the subfloor and the 4" main septic line underneath, the pipes cannot simply be pushed into a plumb position.

Finally, the abs cement is totally sloppy and after looking at the joints underneath the house the cement is literally hanging off the pipes in drips all over the place. And what's worse, when I look at some of the welds between fittings I don't see a smooth continuous weld, but rather some air gaps between the cement, as if the pipes weren't twisted together when they were fitted. two fittings come together and they aren't even at the same pitch! Please see the photo of this. (More pictures at the link)

I should mention that all this work is being "tied into" an existing line leading to the septic tank, and the location of this line is fixed because one end exits a concrete slab, and the other exits the side of the house on its way to the septic tank.

So what do you think, should I fire my plumber? This does not look like quality craftsmanship to me. Even if we only consider the issue of all the crooked stub lines -- how typical is this? Should I demand he come back out and correct everything?

Here is a link that might be useful: More Pictures

Comments (6)