SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgeist

Exterior tankless install with long head (long intro)

dgeist
15 years ago

I'm looking at replacing a 40gal tank heater(NG) when it dies with a tankless unit, but I'm having a heck of a time figuring out if I even CAN since the installation constraints are pretty restrictive.

The house is a 3 level 1960's split on slab/crawlspace with the furnace and water heater near the dead center in the lowest level adjacent to the stair framing that connects all the levels. The current unit is open combustion and the original exhaust vent, grossly under-code for today, was shared between the furnace and WH, snaked up through the bottom of a closet on the top level, into the center level roof, and out. I've replaced the furnace with a closed combustion system that uses PVC pipes for intake/exhaust via the crawl space, but the WH still uses the old exhaust vent.

I don't think that I can facilitate routing of a dual-chamber vent pipe via the current route and I don't want to loose the upstairs spaces by framing it out straight up. The alternatives are to use a tankless system that allows PVC and fairly long runs similar to the furnace (which I can only find one of and it's expensive) or to install the tankless unit outdoors.

My gas entrance is at the far end of the house (middle level) along with the AC, cable, telco, etc. The only hot water appliances on that level are the kitchen sink and dishwasher. All the rest are in the top or bottom levels ~30 feet from the current tank location.

The outdoor location would actually make the plumbing, electrical, and gas work much easier as the crawl-space is easily accessible, but is the extra head on the hot side (probably 30 feet) too much to overcome for speed-to-heat on the appliances? How long would I expect to wait for the output (via 3/4 copper pipe from the tankless) at my most distant locations (master bath shower and sink ~45' straight-line, probably more via pipe) assuming pipes are well insulated, etc? BTW, the crawl-space is not climate controlled, but stays in the 60's year-round.

Thanks.

Dan

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living