SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rob_o

Another Garden Web Owner Built Pool

rob_o
17 years ago

When I found the Garden Web pool forum back in May 2006, the only thing I knew about pools is that they had water in 'em. After a few weeks of skimming some of the posts here and looking at some of the cool pools, we had some pool builders out to give us quotes on the pool I drew up, and they came back with estimates between $50-$65 thousand. Spa would be an extra $5000. Hmmm. That gave me pause. So I started reading more on here, and figured out that yes, I like to build things, and yes, I work on a very flexible schedule, and no, I'm not in a hurry. I had owner/builder written all over me, I guess.

Pretty much everything I've learned came from this site and other sites and stores I found following links from here. So I'll call this pool a Garden Web pool!

The dig was at the end of Oct., so we're at about the 5 month period, and tomorrow we get Pebble (tropical breeze), but I don't think the "pool" will be done for at least another 6 months, as a major part of the pool's design is the landscaping and peripherals. Oh yeah, and the budget climbed to about $65,000 (pool only), but I take some comfort in the consensus of several experienced builders who've seen it who's own estimates ranged from $100,000 to $110,000.

I am a big 1960's fan, especially of the mod, space-age, and faux-tiki architecture of the day, so naturally I wanted something retro. But then again, I needed something a little more than just a simple 1060's pool. I grabbed so many ideas from the pools I've seen by the great people here, but I'll just name two folks right now. Here's the result of the "tiki-pool" so far:

about 45' X 25 at the widest points

8' spa, 360 overflow, raised 4" above beam (inspired by Kristen_Fl's spa)

20' radius sunshelf, split in two by a beam/bench that is 2" below the pool beam. This hopefully will create a nice little overflow which drops a whole inch into the main pool. Half the shelf is 5" deep, the other half 18". (This was inspired in a very roundabout way by Husky's wet deck on his waterfall).

Large 2" brass fountain socket in center of sun shelf, just behind the beam/bench which can hold various, large crystal fountain heads.

5 water crystal bubblers on 4" shelf behind spa.

7 returns/fountains spaced around perimeter of 5" shelf.

2 huge tikis that I commissioned from Wayne Coombs http://www.maitiki.com/gallery.html

back in October, that will house a couple of nice crystal fountain heads to spray into the pool whenever sacrifices are made. One will spray into the deep end and one will (hopefully, because I really don't know if it will work out as I planned) shoot over 100gpm of hot water onto your head in the spa. You can see the pipes sticking up where the tikiÂs will go in the picture. I'm pretty excited because Wayne is coming down Saturday to deliver his babies himself so he can see where they're going to live.

Anyway, the thing won't really be finished until it's surrounded by bananas and palms, and the tiki-hut, and the tiki-bar, and the mai-taiÂs!

Comments (48)