SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kterlep

Help me give this old lady a porch-lift!

kterlep
15 years ago

Hi! We have been enjoying our 120 year old home since last summer. Now that we've spent all our money on frivolous things like chimney repair, sewer lines, insulation, heat, and electrical work, we've got a pittance left for landscaping and fixing up the porches.

FRONT PORCH:

We are in a conspicuous spot in town and I'd like to get our front up to snuff - all the landscaping was removed except for two hostas and a climbing weed, the concrete steps need repainting badly, and the handrail is made of 2x4. Any suggestions for a nice handrail at a low cost (we are happy to do insane amounts of work - maybe we could do something like the dowel and ball that is under the deck of the porch?)

SIDE PORCH:

The side porch used to be a carriage porch (this is now part of the yard). It has the same issues as the front porch - same concrete stairs that need to be painted, and needs stairrail. In addition, the porch railing is gone, and I need to replace it with something.

">

BACK DECK:

This deck was added very recently, and there are a number of issues with it - while it seems well-constructed, there is no railing. The biggest problem is that while it is over 200 square feet, it is only 8' deep and the PO installed a hammock in the middle of it. We also have a hot tub in the same place the PO's was. The biggest problem is that it is so narrow that you can't put a dining set outside. We also need a stairrail.

I was thinking that if we could use the deck-saving "deck bench brackets" we could make a nice corner seating area without wasting deck space.

BALCONY - I think I can get this one done on my own, it just needs paint. It's also very small (4x8) but it makes a wonderful place to read.

">

I've tried to draw out the ideas that I had below. I would really like your input and ideas. I don't think we will put a railing where the hot tub and hammock are at this time - I want to live with the deck as it is because I think we may need to expand at least a portion of it and want to do as little un-doable work as possible.

Thanks! my ideas are below - one last thing, instead of installing lattice under the back deck, I was thinking of putting up a mesh and growing climbing flowers on it...any input?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rockler Hardware

Comments (2)