SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwebber

1 family home w/ 2 porches - need suggestions

gardenwebber
16 years ago

I am lurking on many boards at once right now because we are currently renovating and our projects are running into one another so I am trying to answer many questions simultaneously. I am so grateful for these forums - wish I'd known about them years ago!

First, a little "porch" background.

Our home has two front porches. One is a raised porch that is used as our main entry, about 8X8. The other is off to the left, roughly 8X16 and separate from the raised porch, used for sitting and relaxing. Both are covered. While this is not our preference, we are not up for the undertaking of creating one large unified porch at this time. Our home has never been a 2 family, but we are often mistaken for one. This is a nuisance (especially with solicitors who insist on trying both doors!)

We are in the middle of a decent sized renovation of our kitchen and dining room. During this, we would like to move the door to the sitting porch from its current location off of the Family Room to a new spot in our Dining Room. There is a nice little spot in the corner of the porch where there is currently an older window that would be perfect for a 30" wide door. This would put this 2nd porch door in a place where it won't be so visible from a frontal view.

My specific questions:

What kind of door would be best for this use? We live in the Northeast. Currently, there is a wooden door w/window on the inside and a screened storm type door on the outside. Is that what I should do in the new door location? I appreciate screen doors in the summer. Or is it more common to use a single door for a porch?

2. Is 30" wide large enough? We won't be moving furniture in and out of that door. It would be strictly for porch useage.

3. Are homes designed with two separate porches for any particular reason? We suspect that this house used to have one large porch, and that it was removed and replaced with this arrangement during an addition in 1950.

Thanks in advance~

Comments (4)