SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kempter

Ipe and Brick deck

kempter
15 years ago

HI guys,

I got a lot of help from this site when I built my deck and I neglected to ever post any photos. It's a pretty unusual deck in that most of it is made of brick. It also has a roof below the deck so below the deck stays dry except when there is a lot of wind. I hired an architect to help me with the plans and then also hired a brick mason and concrete guy. I did all of the wood work, roof, copper guttering and electric. I also had a gas guy install the gas lamps on hookup for the gas grill. It was a lot of work -- 8 years of saving, 2 years of planning and several months of construction. We really wanted a brick deck so it would look like it was an original part of the house, not something added on later. Also, with the way the back of our house rises up from the hill we felt it needed to feel pretty "heavy" so the house didn't dwarf it. My wife did a wonderful job with the landscaping and we are very pleased with how it all turned out. We used the eb-ty system on the ipe. It's been 2 winters, no problems yet with cupping or anything else. Thank for everyone's help -- no way would I have had the confidence to tackle this project wihout this site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35401093@N02/

Comments (4)