SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alfred808_gw

Rock Salt finish on pool coping

alfred808
14 years ago

Our pool was built in th 60's in Honolulu and we recently had it renovated, new plaster, waterline tile, concrete poured in place coping. I have no experience in pool renovations. All went well except for the pool coping. We asked for off white and settled for a light beige. the conteactor ordered the concrete 2 yards and when the truck came dumped two boxes of beige colorant in the truck. What started to come out and get laid into the coping forms looked like brown mud. The lead man said when it dries it will lighten. At that point I do not know if I could stop the job, or just be happy and accept the color or hope in the end the color would lighten enough to be acceptable. When it came time to put the rock salt finish on the spreading ended up very uneven and a lot of spots ended up looking like asphalt holes. There were two persons showing each other how to apply the salt and another trowelling it in. I was never asked if we wanted a light sperading of salt or a heavy spread. As a result the finish is uneven in texture and had very sharp edges after the salt was removed. I had the contractor come back twice to knock down the sharp edges. The first time they used their trowels and scrapped the high points off and made it a bit smoother and said that this was how a standard rock salt finish was supposed to be. The next time the came they took an orbital sander and sanded it a little smoother. The surface is unacceptable because it is the wrong shade, too dark and not light enough, uneven salt pattern and not a smooth surface.

I will try to include pictures. (how do I post pictures to this message?)

Any advice on how to fix this situation.

Comments (22)