SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmcgowan35

Help Hanging Oars for the Decor Challenged

chicagoans
10 years ago

Disclaimer: I'm decor challenged; my home style is "teenagers and a dog." Having established that, I'm looking for some feedback re: hanging some oars and pictures in my family room.

A camp my family has attended since I was a kid (and I worked there in college) is closing. I'm heartbroken about it but am trying to make the best of it. I got two oars from the camp that I'm going to hang on a wall with some pix from camp that I had printed on canvas.

My question is about the best way to hang the oars.

The oars are 8' long and about 1 3/4" in diameter at the widest part where a hook would go.

Here are the oars and pictures laid out on a table. (There are pads on the table - it's much prettier than it looks!)

I bought some wide hooks from Lee Valley; I like the rusticity but I'm afraid they're too wide and will look odd. What do you think?

FWIW here is a picture of the wall where the oars and pictures will go. The space between the window at left and angled wall at right is 13' 6" long; I'm replacing the picture that's there now. (It was the classroom project for my son's 4th grade class and he's a freshman in high school now. Yes, it's time.)

For context, here is a wider shot of the room (and the dog.)

Should I stick with the hooks I have? I haven't found any others that I think would work.

Should I use brackets for hanging 2" diameter curtain rods? I don't like the size of the big wooden brackets, and don't think I can use the closed circle brackets (I don't have room to maneuver the oars that much.)

Curtain tieback brackets are also too big, I think.

I considered drilling into the oars to screw in picture hanging wire and hang them from hooks - basically making the oars look like they're 'floating' on the wall. But I'm worried I might split the wood.

Sorry this is so long... I've you've stuck with me, any ideas? Oh and to make things interesting... I'm hoping to hang these before May 3 because I'm having 60 for brunch on May 4, so if I order something it has to be fast.

TIA!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida