SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
not_a_decorator

Decorating challenged: Family Room help needed.

not_a_decorator
14 years ago

I am so encouraged by looking at the responses on this site, I am hopeful that I will get some assistance in my decorating dilemma.

My problem area is this family room. The room is 18 x 15. I have tried to come up with a decorating theme and seating arrangement for this room and I can not decide which theme will go best with the brown sofa. Currntly the TV is in a corner, We are open to putting it above the fireplace as I need to add more seating in the room, and I will also get new coffee table, end tables and accessories. I like more transitional style, not very modern or very traditional/ornate. I have young kids so the style has to be kid friendly. We moved in this house 4 yrs ago, and I have not been able to set this room up.

I tried painting it green, but the color was so wrong that I had to repaint this room the following weekend. so I have made a fair amount of mistakes. I would appreciate if I could get some help.

Comments (16)

• fillagirl
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

There are a lot of great minds here, but a couple of things I see are:
    1) Mount the TV over the fireplace, it will give that side of the room some breathing space.

2) Get blinds to go over the windows so that your panels can remain stationary, and pulled to one side, each side closest to the wall.

3) The ottomans seem to be lost in and in the walkspace. I would take them out of the room for now. In the future, you could buy a coffee table that has storage space underneath for the ottomans.

4) Your furniture is very "heavy", so it will need to be balanced out with heavier features in the room. If budget allows, consider thicker drapery rods.

• fillagirl
    14 years ago

Forgot to add that I might also bring the drapery rod right up the ceiling, either new drapes or add a solid piece to the top or bottom.

• Related Discussions

Need Furniture Placement Help and Decorating Help- Family Room

Q

Comments (16)
    Center the rug with the fireplace. Take the bookcase out of the left corner of the room and put that in the space between the kitchen and FR, where the console table now sits. Move the sectional down toward the fireplace, (after centering the rug), add an end table to the outside of the chaise part of the sectional. Someone sitting there wonâÂÂt want to move to get a drink off the coffee table. Be sure there is a lamp there as well, to light that corner of the room. Move the armoire to angle in the corner where the sectional was sitting originally. Use it for storage, perhaps add shelving or even a pull-out shelf for a computer center which can be closed up and put away. The piece is very nice, and gives good height to balance the fireplace and high ceilings. For now, try the console on the wall to the right of the fireplace, and place the new flatscreen on that. Later you may prefer a more substanial cabinet, which can hide other components and store DVDs, etc. If you do that, then try the console table behind the part of the sectional that has its back to the kitchen. Add a comfy upholstered chair in the corner, a bit closer to the fireplace, where the armoire was, along with another small side table and lamp.
    ...See More

Redoing family room, need help with decor, colors. Brown leather couch

Q

Comments (9)
    Really nice room. Looks comfortable and inviting. Good choice w/new sofas. Like the fireplace as is ... but less clutter could improve the look of it. Not sure what the picture is above the piano. If it is a family photograph, reframe it and the family photo on the mantel with the same frames and put both above the piano. Really like your coffee table. One day it will be a valuable antique if you don't booger it up. So, for the coffee table, consider taking the table to a glass company and having a dark gray tinted thick glass top created for it -- no refinish for the table necessary. (Alternately, cover everything but the top and paint the top only -- perhaps black or else the same white as your cabinets.) Do the same for your current end table as you do for the coffee table. If you're going to add a second end table, since matching the existing one would likely prove difficult, consider a totally different look -- perhaps a wood 2-drawer filing cabinet? http://realsolidoak.com/office.html
    ...See More

Need help choosing family room table lamp, decor, window treatments

Q

Comments (5)
    My style is difficult to describe so I've included photos that inspire me.
    ...See More

Need help with family room curtains and decorating advice.

Q

Comments (2)
    I never know why people do another post these duplicates are a PITA you have answers on the other post and I have no idea if you can delete this one now IMO anything you post you should be able to delete another issue from Houzz
    ...See More
  • loribee
    14 years ago

The ottomans, wall paint and drapes all go together really well with your leather! :)
    I think another, bigger scale chair would balance out the room nicely, instead of the smaller scale rocker.
    It would also be great to have a large print over the FP.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

I'd suggest adding more lighting, via table lamps or floor lamps, especially in the corner between the sofa and love seat. Also, since most of the furniture is dark, I'd add some pattern and color via pillows. You have plenty of wall space for some art with color, which should be large pieces. The mantel might benefit from a bit of green via a trailing plant, and a larger piece of art of mirror over it.

I'd bring the curtain rods down a few inches so the drapes will be about a 1/2" above the floor, as the look a bit short in the pics. It looks like you might close them at times for privacy - is that true? I'd get a metal hold back for the wall side of each window, so you can tuck/drape them behind that during the day, and easily close them at night.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

I can't really add anything except to think very seriously about putting the TV on the mantel especially if your family watches it often. It looks like you have a lot of wall space for it. I'd definitely get a longer TV stand though.

l know many here put their TVs on the mantel and I've tried watching TV that way, but my poor poor neck & looking up to watch it isn't fun. Plus, I can't imagine putting a TV above a strong heat source, since heat rises.

Having an open mantel is fun to decorate, are you sure you want to "get rid of it" by placing a TV up there?

• not_a_decorator
    Original Author
    14 years ago

All very good suggestions, thanks, couple of things I wanted to clarify:

1. The curtains can go. I like them but I am not specially attached to them.

2. I have to put some art work in, buy a couple of lamps, and some new seating, may be a rug. I c an't decide if more classic pattern, rich material, painting in ornate frame would go with this furniture or more modern lamps, abstract artwork would go better.

3. What I am struggling most is what kind of art work/accessories would go with the sofa, that is one piece that has to stay. My husband bought it and he loves it.

4. As far as TV is concerened, we have been comtemplating putting it on the Mantel, but still have not done it because, we usually watch it from the breakfast area, and outting it on the mantel means we can no longer do it.

5. I had the TV on the wall with love seat, but that takes away the seating space, so I am not able to decide, where would be the best location for TV.

6. Is there another wall color that would make the furniture seems less heavy/dominating? I thought green would balance it out, but I the shade I picked was horrible.

• not_a_decorator
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have $1500 to finish this room

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Can you put the tv where the loveseat is and float the loveseat opposite? The sofa can stay where it is. That way the focal point is shared by the firplace and the tv. Also, check to make sure it is possible to place the tv over the fp.

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

I wrote a long post last night and lost it, as I'm still getting used to my laptop (grrrr!)

One of my ideas was to possible float the loveseat , as kmg, suggested, placing the tv on that wall. If the room can take it, it would give you seating while watching tv; seating facing the fireplace and a good arrangement for chatting with company. You've mentioned your budget. With that in mind, you can always put off purchasing a tall entertainment piece that would hold, not only the tv, but with bookcases on either side to display books and art pieces, etc. And when I say "art pieces", this can mean anything from a 5x7" card of a nice picture displayed in an inexpensive-but-bulky wood easel frame to a boldly colored large bowl; a basket of silk or real greenery, etc. The possibilities are endless, as long as they're not delicate or too busy. When shopping for an EC, I'd look for a piece with closed door storage along the bottom, as everyone needs more storage these days!

But, figure out the best seating arrangement BEFORE buying any tables. This way you can get tables that work with the space you have left. And, look for pieces with some closed storage. Being a mom myself, I know how much clutter they can generate ;^D One way to bring in extra seating and not add too much bulk would be to use two small cubes with storage compartments in place of one large coffee table. I'm not sure how long trays balanced on top of cubes would last with small kids, but even two low, round, sturdy wood tables there might work.

But, you first have to come up with some color to add. What colors come to mind when you think of your favorites? Colors that you enjoy seeing and having around you? Use one as your main color and one or two others for your accent colors. Your main color is NOT brown; that's your neutral color. For instance, my family room has a brown leather sofa and chair. I love red, so I've added it (in a more rusty hue) along with green. I've added green via another leather chair and in pops of it in our art and accessories. Red in my throw pillows, a large chunky candle arrangement on my coffee table, and in my art. In Spring through Summer, I add pillow covers in a mellow yellow (my third accent color)with red and green print. The bottom line is to pick colors that YOU like, as you're the one who has to live there.

As My3dogs, suggested, add color. You can do this with throw pillows, art, throws, pottery, candles, etc. My own added advice would be to think BIG. You have big pieces of furniture and you need large accessories to balance these. For example, look at your fireplace mantel now. Your accessories there add nothing because they're too small. Think chunky, big, bold, colorful. You can save money by getting large chunky lamps at a second-hand or discount store and repainting them a bold accent color. Add new shades and you've added a great piece to the room that's also child-resistant ;^D This way, you can save some money for big artwork. What kind? Art is so, so, so personal . . . or it should be! Again, you're going to have to live with it day in and day out. What do YOU like? Landscapes?Contemporary still-life? Whatever you like, you can find many with brighter colors that work with your room. A print can be fairly inexpensively double-matted and framed. Spending the extra to have it double-matted really makes a huge difference.

I do have to mention your fireplace, though. Everyone loves a fireplace. They're warm, welcoming, cozy and a great architectural feature. But, the way yours is at the moment, it's the wallflower of the room . . . fading into the background. You've furnished the room with big, bold dark brown leather pieces and you have this delicate white and gray marble fireplace that's blending into the light wall. Is there anyway that you might consider giving it a face-lift? My first thought was a beefier mantel in a wood or stone and some glass or ceramic tile on the surround and hearth. These are just quick pics I found online googling "tile fireplace surrounds).
    {{gwi:1615406}}
    {{gwi:1615407}}
    {{gwi:1615408}}

If you want or need to stay with the fireplace as it is now, I think you need to repaint the walls a darker, deeper color to make that fireplace stand out.

I don't have time to address the drape issue, but you're getting some great ideas here already,
    Lynn

• djsaw
    14 years ago

I think that the best place for the TV would be against the wall that has the love seat on it and if there is enough room you could put an extra chair where the TV is now. Personally, I don't like the idea of putting the TV over the fireplace because of all the cords and what are you going to do with your media components? Ughh too much hassle for me. I think a rug would help round out the space and help bring some pattern and color into the room. I do think you need new drapes and a longer media cabinet.

• djsaw
    14 years ago

Oh and I forgot, go and get some graph paper and draw your room to scale, like 2 blocks equals 1 foot, and include windows and doors. Then draw your furniture on another sheet of graph paper to the same scale and cut it out. You can easily play with your arrangement until you get it right.

• k9arlene
    14 years ago

With all of your heavy, dark furniture, you need to give more weight to the fireplace as a previous poster suggested.

• oopsie913
    14 years ago

i WILL JUST ADD A BIT. But I strongly suggest that you do NOT put the TV over the mantel. Nothing is as bad as TV viewing when it is too high. I dont see a problem with the tv as part of the focal point as you face the FPL. What I DO think is that you need some balance with maybe putting a much larger piece of artwork or cool large mirror over the FPL, or you can take various size family photos and frame them in like frames around the mantel.
    I do think your windows are lost with the TV so close to the one window. Can it go on the other side? \
    Plus bring the drapes down lower so you have some bunching at the bottom, or get rid of them and add bamboo shades or roman shades>

Most of all bring some colors into your room with a throw and some pillows and the artwork and a bright area rug over your rug.. Hang the artwork low too, which creates a cozier look.
    I am babbling now. So I will go. I am sure someone will inspire you more than me within the budget restraints.

Once again...unless you want a constant crick in the neck, dont do the TV over theFPL. Wall mount somewher if you want and put a console under it.

OR take the couch on the wall next to TV and bring it out in the middle of the room facing that wall and work with a grouping so you can move the TV over a bit?
    Like I said, I may have no real tips here, Im tired and babbling lol good luck,

• gwbr54
    14 years ago

That's a really difficult room - even tho' it's 18 x 15, with the wide openings into the room, the usable area is more like 11 x 8 - which is quite small for a family room that needs even more seating than you have.

I'd probably place the TV on wall between the two openings into the room, with the two small ottomans below. Of course, that would make it no longer viewable from the breakfast area. But it does make use of wall that is not really usable for seating.

Then I'd add a chair and ottoman where the TV currently is, and another chair in same place, but replacing the glider. For budget reasons, maybe a Mission-style wooden rocking chair, or substantial wicker chair - both with cushions that you can cover in interesting colored pattern.

You could continue the color or pattern onto window treatments. The photo posted by ajmama's in link below (it's the third post) would look great in your space. Add some coordinating pillows or throws on leather furniture, and you will have gone a long way towards 'unbrowning' the room.

Here is a link that might be useful: drapery

• gwbr54
    14 years ago

Might look something like:

• not_a_decorator
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These are all great tips and ideas. It gives me a good start. I like the ides of photoshopping pieces on the picture to see how it looks.

I like reds and oranges, on this couch can I use geometric patterns, or should I use abstract flowing patterns or more floral or paisley pattern. I guess if I get one piece to start then that becomes my inspiration piece. and it will go from there.

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator