SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
unlucky_gw

Musty Smell possibly originating from Toilet Soil Pipe

unlucky
16 years ago

My house is nearly 200 years old, and I am not sure when the inside toilet was added, but probably a good 50+ years ago.

It is on the first floor at the top of the stairs, and the soil pipe goes down through the cupboard under the stairs and out of the house to the front.

The soil pipe does not look in the best of condition and I've always been frightened to touch it in case i break it - it really does look that fragile even though it is cast iron.

There is a knob at the bottom that does not appear to do anything too much (I can't imagine why anyone would want to turn it) but it appears to be clogged up around the join with the pipe with what I can only describe as solidified effluent from the pipe, and underneath this knob has always been a can on tuna (it was like that when I moved in). I'm not really sure what purpose the tuna serves, if it's supporting anything, but I thought that it must be there for a reason...

Anyway, the cupboard has never been particularly appealing and has always had a bit of a musty smell, but just recently this has got substantially worse - I can now smell this the second I walk in the house and from everywhere on the ground floor, but there appears to be no problem upstairs or in the upstairs toilet, although it may be noteworthy that the toilet has got a lot more use recently as we have had builders in (this may also be a red herring!)

I have checked the soil pipe in the cupboard and have not noticed anything that wasn't there already.

The smell doesn't smell of sewage, just really musty old smell.

I thought it might be the ventilation in the cupboard, but have now eliminated this avenue, so think therefore that it must be emanating from the soil pipe.

Any ideas on what I should do?

Comments (4)