SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
comkow_gw

Aquaperl...Alt to DE

comkow
16 years ago

I noticed "repairguy" is the only person who has mentioned Aquaperl so I guess this question is for him.

I am currently trying to decide on my filter options. I have narrowed it down to the Quad DE80 using Aquaperl or or a sand filter using Zeosand(Zeobest etc).

I am trying to avoid using DE b/c I do not like the "components" of it. We have a very shallow well and although we will backwash in another direction, we have wild raspberry bushes in one direction, the septic in another, etc, so it just concerns me.

Does the Aquaperl work as well as using DE when filtering or is it less effective in its micron size. I know with sand/zeolite, it does not filter as well as the DE, but plan on upsizing the filter to hopefully help out with this.

And yes, the easier the cleaning the better, so that is another reason I am considering the Quad and sand.

Thanks for any feedback. I have to get moving on this with a pool install scheduled in 6 weeks..yikes!!

Comments (13)

• repair_guy
    16 years ago

If you are an environmentally concerned type, the QUAD DE with AquaPerl is about as good as it gets. I have an entire page on my website that features these types of products. All Pentair as they are leading the way.

AquaPerl is a direct substitute for DE. It is a no brainer as it measures just as DE does. A scoop for scoop measurement. It's just half of the volume. It hoses off way nicer and can be done anywhere. Keep in mind, if doing it on grass, you may want to do it on a day when the chlorine level is low as that will kill the grass, not the AquaPerl. Also, salt does that too. It is totally inert and filters, in my opinion, better than DE. It will trap much more so your initial passes through the filter will cause early cleanings. But, the QUAD cleans very easy so it's not bad at all.

World Minerals Inc. and its subsidiary Harborlite Corporation, has received NSF Certification to NSF/ANSI Standard 50 for AquaPerl perlite swimming pool filter media. NSF/ANSI Standard 50 includes requirements for swimming pool circulation system components, treatment devices and related materials. For meeting these requirements, AquaPerl became the first and only perlite swim pool filter media to receive NSF Certification.

AquaPerl is a premium filtration media engineered to replace diatomaceous earth (D.E.) filter media in D.E. (precoat) filters. AquaPerl improves filter performance with greater dirt holding capacity resulting in crystal clear water. It is non-toxic and chemically inert, prevents premature fouling on the filter grid, uses less water and reduces maintenance by easier and complete backwashing of the filter media. AquaPerl products will bear the NSF logo for meeting the requirements outlined in NSF/ANSI Standard 50. AquaPerl is available from distributors throughout North America.

• comkow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the information repairguy. My husband and I are trying to minimize any toxic or less environmentally friendly chemicals that we can control. We have turned to organics vs chemicals for our lawn as well.

One last question, our pb includes the Pentair FNS+ filter which is all DE. Should we take that or do you think we should switch to the Quad DE for the ease of cleaning? Neither of us have ever owned a pool so the easier things are the better. I think both filters are comparable in price so I am hoping it will be an even swap with the pb if we decide to go with the Quad.

Do you happen to know when the Quad DE first hit the market? Do you think all of the kinks are out of the system?

TIA.

• repair_guy
    16 years ago

Quad is about a year I think. No kinks as it's the same tank as the FNS+ or Clean and Clear+. On a strictly turnover rating the following filters are all rated the same.

FNS+60 57,600gpm in 8 hours
    Quad DE 60
    Clean and Clear 320

Now the good news. The FNS+ is $23.00 more than the Quad and
    $31.00 more than the 320. On a flow basis only, the QUAD is the best choice as it filters better than the 320 and is cheaper then the FNS+ which has far more work getting it apart. By the way, you still needs a backwash valve for the FNS+ and most Quads are not installed with one. It is treated like a cartridge filter. There's another savings of $50-100.

It is usually advised to bump to a 420 if considering a 320 as that is pretty small. The 60sq ft DE in any form is usually considered acceptable for most pools unless you're pushing 30k+ in water.

Your builder should thank you for taking the quad over his FNS+ as it is going to cost him less!

• comkow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again repairguy. I mentioned the QuadDE to our pb yesterday, he has never heard of it and wanted to make sure the kinks are out. I will relay the information to him re: the same tank and no backwash valve.

I think I may try to upgrade to the QuadDE80. We are getting the Intelliflo VS3050, so maybe the Quad80 would be beneficial also. Necessary? I think we are pushing roughly 26k gallons. I will still try to get the even swap based on the savings of Quad vs FNS and the valve w/labor.

Where is your website you reference above? I would like to take a look at it if possible.

• repair_guy
    16 years ago

You can use a backwash valve but most don't. If you do, I don't advise the multiport.

Not allowed to list the website here. You have to do a search. Go to the bottom of the page here where it says instructions.

Click search the forums and then enter "murrieta pool".

I'm the first one to pop up. Click the name and you'll find it there.

• ethiojazz
    16 years ago

I am a bit confused so please bear the ignorance...

Does this mean you can use AquaPerl instead of DE in any system??

• repair_guy
    16 years ago

Direct substitute

• ethiojazz
    16 years ago

Rocking good time... Thanks .... And similar filtering capabilities...

• monypit
    15 years ago

I have pretty much decided on using the Pentair Quad DE 80 filter and the inteliflo VF. Which backwash assembly do you recommend using with this filter?

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

I do not recommend a backwash on the quad de. It is far too easy to clean as needed.

• chulaman
    15 years ago

Repair Guy:

I already had specified and purchased the Pentair Hi-Flow 261142 Backwash Valve for my Quad DE-100 filter. I will be using Aquaperl (still hunting a local source in Central FL). Your advice seems to be to plumb direct and not use the valve. In that case what is the method for cleaning the Quad-DE?

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

Treat it like a cartridge filter. It cleans way faster than a standard cartridge filter as it is DE

• monypit
    15 years ago

If I do not install a backwash valve, I still have the issue of how to get excess water out of the pool after heavy rain etc? Also, can the pentair VF pump be run using my current Intermatic mechanical timers, one for the main pump and one for the sweep booster pump? Does the interface on the VF pump act as a timer also? Confused plenty

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022