SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncaralph

Giving a cat medicine

15 years ago

One of our cats is subject to respiratory infections, so we wind up giving him Clavamox a couple of times a year which he hates.

What we do now is give it to him mixed with liquified cat food. We make a mixture of soft catfood and water - about 3 to 1 liquified in a blender, then pick up about 5cc of this in a bird feeder syringe and use the eye dropper from the Clavamox bottle to carefully add 1 CC of Clavamox to it. These syringes have a large tip, so if you are careful you can slowly squirt the Clavamox in.

Shake it a bit, then wrap the cat in a towel and squirt the mixture into his mouth. I generally do it in 2 goes, waiting a few seconds so he doesn't choke. I hold the cat with my left arm wrapped around him such that my elbow holds him next to my body and my left hand can force his mouth open. My right hand has the syringe (don't let it aim down or it drips) and can squirt it into his mouth.

He doesn't seem to mind much at all and gets his medicine without a lot of drama or clawed hands.

Comments (4)