SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcfilley

What should I charge for pasture only

kcfilley
17 years ago

Hi,

I own fenced acreage in the Midwest, just built a nice barn and have had inquiries as to whether or not I would pasture a couple of horses for friends, family and neighbors. I'm considering this but am in the dark on pricing. One barn here charges $300 for pasture but a stall is available with that price if the owner wants. No turn out is provided. Another farm charges $175 for pasture only and hay is $25 per horse. What do you suggest for pasture only? I would not do stall boarding.

I feed an excellent quality brome 2x per day (usually at least 3 flakes per feeding) and in cold weather grain. My horses are very healthy. The horses would always have fresh water from a heated, in-ground watering system plus they have two ponds.

I would allow owners to use my barn to store their tack, bathe and groom their horses but I'm not interested in stall boarding. I also think I'd be pickey about messes left by owners so that's another reason I'd rather not do true stall boarding. I also would not be here to do turn outs.

There are plenty of areas for trail riding very close to my place. Trailering would not be necessary.

I would want the horses wormed every two months but if the owners do not take the time to do it, should I charge for the labor to do it myself? Do I charge extra if I have to start haying earlier and continue later than usual due to a drought? If I grain a horse, I figured I'd just charge the true cost of the grain but would you charge for labor?

Other than in an emergency situation where the owner could not be present, would the boarder need to meet the vet? The farrier? If I meet the vet or farrier for the owner and get their horse caught up, would I charge for this or just provide it as a service?

Not 100% sure I want to do this but I've had lots of inquiries. One lady I know said she would pay $150 for one horse but wanted to know if I would give a $20 discount per horse for more than one horse.

Thanks so much. I'm in the dark about pricing.

KCF

P. S. Any thoughts you might have would be great.

Comments (9)