SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicksmom_gw

Pain management for dogs

nicksmom
15 years ago

Our black lab (2 yo) is 2 weeks post-op after being hit by a car. She had a broken front left leg, just below the elbow. She had surgery to repair it (pin & wires) 2 days after the accident, when she was stable. She came home the next day, and has been doing generally well (no major pain, bearing some weight, etc).

Yesterday, she had her staples removed. She seemed fine the rest of the day yesterday and this morning. But, late morning I noticed that she wouldn't bear ANY weight on her repaired let, and her paw is turned under most of the time when she is sitting or standing. She also has a fluid collection around the joint, that feels boggy.

She's not as perky as she had been. She is eating & drinking ok, no fever, not acting sick, per se. I was out of the Tylenol w/Codeine that she came home with, but gave her Tramadol 50mg. this morning and again just now. I've also tried some coldpacks since it seems to be an acute change. The vet cant see her until Monday.

Any ideas what could have caused this sudden change? Nothing else new, other than the staple removal yesterday. We still have her limited (by a baby gate) to a corner of the living room (about 4x4 foot area), adn she's been pretty quiet. Only outside on a leash to go potty. No playing, etc.

Anything else to try for pain and inflammation until the vet can see her Monday?

Comments (11)