SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilmbg

adoption nightmare- long distance

ilmbg
14 years ago

I found a miniature dachshund- I thought- on PetFinder. I contacted the rescue, talked to the lady, filled out the application. I was told the dog was a neutered male, 4 years old, house trained, crate trained and HEALTHY!!! I stressed both talking and on my application that I wanted a healthy dog that could go hiking. The Person who I spoke with said that he only needed a supplement that can be found in most pet stores. I do hike with my min dach frequently. I live in northern Wyoming, so the terrain can be hilly/rocky.

The dog is not healthy, not housetrained and not cratetrained (He barks all day while in the carte, I am told by neighbors). I expected a few 'accidents' while being transitioned into a new home- but he is not housebroken AT ALL!!

I think the person, Heidi, is the one who runs the program.

I paid for the adoption, paid to have the dog flown from Jacksonville, FL to Billings, Montana.......and IMMEDIATELY when I saw the dog at the airport knew that HE WASN'T 4 years old!! He also looked sickly.

The next before I was to pick him up at the airport Heidi asked 'if I had gotten what she sent in the mail?'. I said I had not because I only go to town once a week/every two weeks to get mail.

In the mail was the supplement AND a RX for pancreatic enzymes.

Anyway, I made an appointment for the dog to see the vet.

The vet puts the dog at 7-8 years old- maybe more.

The paperwork that was sent with the dog on the airline says the dog has malabsorption syndrome. I was not told this prior.

My vet agrees with the malabsorption syndrome- he says it will get worse in time.

The dog is so emaciated and in poor health that he has no muscle mass. My vet says this is characteristic of the disease.

My new 'hiking partner' poops out afer 1-2 blocks- just sits down at about 3 blocks.

His pasterns are so weak- I am wondering if the dog has been cage bound/a breeder dog all his life.

He has had only his 1 year rabies shot. (the ad on PerFinder says he is up to date with all his shots....NOT)

His teeth are terrible- I have never heard of an adoption/rescue not cleaning teeth.

Now.....I do not want this dog- he is NOT at all what he was supposed to be. I was mislead, lied to about the dog.

I want to talk to whomever is the real 'Leader' of the adoption, as Heidi does not return my calls now. I am sure she wants to keep the money and run.

I did talk to my lawyer, and he says there are options, but to try to get the adoption to take him back and return my money before resorting to legal means.

Does anyone know who actually runs D.A.R.E, (Dachshund AND Rescue, Education) I think... it is in Jacksonville, FL

What they did is not fair to either the dog or myself. I said exactly what I wanted, and they advertised the dog to be something that he isn't. It made the dog fly- a stressfull thing in itself. Now the dog has to go back. It is not fair to me, as he is not what he was said to be, I get attached to the dog, and I paid a total of $500 for adoption/flight. NOT a good adoption scenerio.

Does anyone know who to get in touch with? NOT Heidi.

Thank you

Comments (16)