SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anna_2006

lighting placement needs to change - need help

anna_2006
16 years ago

I posted on the lighting forum last week, but got no replies. Since you all have been so helpful with all my other problems, I am hoping you can aid me with one last change that we have to make with the lighting.

We originally put in the recessed lights 36" away from the walls. But now that the cabinets are in, DH sees how silly that was since the lights are not centred over the hood mantle, etc., and it all looks like it is off-center in relation to the cabinets on either side of the hood, etc. Plus, we have noticed that there are shadows on the counter when we stand there, but we will have undercab lights installed soon.

We want to move the lights to where they should be (if there is such a thing) and make it right.

We will install undercab lights. The ceiling height is 9'.

Also, since the island houses the main sink - I want this to be lit well. I am thinking of using a three light island/billiard light for this - max. watts - 3 X 100. Unfortunately, this fixture will not be centred perfectly with the hood mantle; the center of the mantle will 6" to the right of the center of the island.

Here is the layout of the kitchen which is 13' along the range wall and 12" along the fridge wall. There is a supporting wall that we removed, but there is a beam that runs across the room (I have shown it crossing over the island) that is 10 " lower than the ceiling.

I look forward to your suggestions, including what to do with the lighting over the island and sink - is the fixture enough, or include recessed lights...?

{{!gwi}}

Lighting fixture for over the island - like this one in an unidentified kitchen:

Comment (1)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company