SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Paint question - technical, Paint forum slow

2ajsmama
14 years ago

I was hoping faron was over here this AM, or maybe funcolors or someone could help. I posted 2 hrs ago on Paint but no replies yet, I have 2 hrs b4 DD gets home for long w/e and I want to get at least the primer done!

I bought some "oops" paint - Ben Moore exterior 100% acrylic MoorGard, in a gray. I want to repaint some porch furniture, was going for a distressed/antiqued/weathered French blue. I have a sample can of Valspar interior latex that's in the color I pretty much want as the base, though it's too dark/blue to just use by itself. I also have an "oops" sample (8oz) of a lighter gray Valspar interior latex.

I was wondering if I prime first with BM Fresh Start, if I could/should tint that with either the Moorgard or the blue Valspar as my base coat? Or just prime the white and then paint a base coat - again, could I tint the Moorgard with the Valspar? Or would I be better off priming, painting with the Moorgard (gray) then dry-brushing with the 1 or 2 Valspar colors to get the look I want? I just didn't know how the interior paints would hold up as a top coat, thought I could get better durability (and the color I wanted) by mixing them with the exterior paint.

I don't want to buy a quart of exterior paint in the exact color I want b/c 1) I don't want a solid color, I'm going to dry-brush or glaze a lighter color to get a weathered look and 2) I don't want to spend $20 to paint a few thrift-store tables.

Thanks

Comments (3)