SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vincel_gw

New Pool owner looking for equipment help

vincel
15 years ago

Hi, Bought a home that had a pool that is about 10 years old. It's a large rectangular pool that measures 50' x 20'. It has a diving board and slide. It was open when we bought the house in September but we had nothing but problems with the equipment and we closed it in early Oct. Trying to look be ready for the opening and I want to know what areas I should look to be fixing or upgrading. Before we closed it I took the filter to a shop and had it rebuilt, the pool would not stay clean and the filter was leaking. We had a gasket replaced on the pump it was leaking as well. The heater is not working and I'm doubtful i'll get that fixed this year I had someone quote me $800 to fix and I don't want to pay the gas bill anyway to run it.

The filter I have is a Hayward Perflex D.E. EC65 or EC75 not sure which. The label shows both part #'s. Is this filter big enough for my pool size? I don't know how many gallons the pool is.

The pump is a Hayward Super Pump C48L2N134B1. The label says is 1 1/2 HP. Again is this large enough? The pool seemed to have very little water movement b4 we closed it and needed backwashing every couple days.

There is a booster pump, all I see on it is a # PB4.

There is a Intermatic Timing control center on the wall. It is basic and just has a couple breakers and time clocks inside.

The heater is a Raypak P-R405A-EN. It won't light i'm told it needs a regulator on the gas line and a new controller board. Supposedly the guy said if you disconnect the controller, hold it in your hand and squeeze it it will light.

So my question, what should I spend my money on without going crazy? I know I need some sort of cleaner. People I've talked to tell me to get like a Dolphin or Aquabot and just don't use the booster pump. Is this the best way to go?

I'm also very interested in a Salt water generator since it seems as thought i'd be spending a ton on chlorine for a pool this size. Is this a smart move? If so what brand / type should I get for a pool of this size?

Can I get by with the filter and pump that I have? Or should I replace one or both of them?

Thanks for reading all of this and for any help you can give.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor