SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trmatty4

Mysterious water in tub area...could it be tile related?

trmatty4
12 years ago

If you have experience with tile installation and/or plumbing I need your help. My son's bath is a tub/shower combo with a tile surround (4x4 white tile) We noted a water stain on the ceiling in our master many months ago. Initially I believed it was because they had made a mess on the floor of their bath. It started to grow however. We have now had 4 visits from 2 plumbing companies (including the owner of 1) and it has been determined that the water is not plumbing related. We have opened the walls behind the faucets as well as at the opposite end of the tub. You can see water gathering at both outside corners of the tub inside the wall. It seems to collect only when the shower is running. Had a tile guy out yesterday and he redid all the silicone caulk inside the tub area (house is less than 2 years old by the way) Water does not start flowing out of my now open ceiling down below immediately but within 10 minutes or so of running the shower above. And it is a steady drip. It has been suggested that it is bad grout. Upon visual inspection and based on opinion of tile guy who did silicone it does not seem possible for it to be grout. We lined the interior of tile surround with plastic sheeting and there was no leaking. Water was not hitting tile which could be why. It is my understanding that there is supposed to be some sort of water proofing painted on the dry wall (cannot think of word for the special dry wall used in baths) Is it possible that tile was not installed properly to begin with and that is why we are having this problem? No Red Guard (water proofing?) Not enough?

Our next plan of attack is to have tile guy come and pop off tiles sporadically to see if it can be determined if installation was properly done.

What are your thoughts? I am 99.9% certain that this has nothing to do with plumbing. But I cannot figure out how water is getting behind the walls and collecting on floor under the tub and eventually dripping to the ceiling below.

Comments (13)