SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thomaskuhn

Using used solar Panels

thomaskuhn
13 years ago

I live on Orlando, fl and need solar for the pool. I love a warm pool, at least anything above 85-90 deg. Since moving into our first pool house a year and a half ago, we wanted to try the pool (8000-10000Gal approx) for a year, and see if we needed solar. Results -> I need solar. It got to about 85-86 for a few weeks and that was it. I would like to have solar, but I know that our roof that solar would be installed on is 2-3 degrees north of west (273 deg), thus not nearly optimal, and I would hate to spend the big $$$$$ for simple solar, especially if there are some great used deals out there. I have heard the average is about $600 a panel installed. At 6 panels (a guess) we are talking $3600, or more.

Long story short, in order to raise the pool temp 10 degrees at most, I wanted to invest in some used Craiglist solar panels that have been removed from someones house (Re-shingle, etc). There are some really good deals out there. These deals include a lot of electric control systems too. I would have my reliable roof guy install the panels, I would do the rest of the plumbing, etc.

Any thoughts,

Anyone use used panels? I know there are leak issues, but for $400 for 6 panels, a little JB weld goes a long way. I am a hard core DIY engineering type, so plumbing, roofing, electrical, etc is no issue with me (Except the slope on my roof, thus the roofer)

Tom

Comments (9)