SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldgirl_gw

New here and a question

goldgirl
17 years ago

Hi everyone - I've been on other GW forums for a couple of years but have never dropped by here!

DH and I have - gulp - six Goldens, including our oldest girl who turned 12 in October. She's doing great - a little wobbly in the back end but much improved from physical therapy (walking on an underwater treadmill) and Metacam. We just started Adequan shots and are hoping we'll eventually be able to cut back on the other meds.

Anyway, I bought a set of heavy-duty steps for our bed since she's been having trouble jumping up. This is a dog who has been on agility equipment and will go up regular steps willingly. The bed steps are carpeted, and do not move at all. I've walked her up and down them with a cookie, and she's perfectly able to do that.

But, she absolutely refuses to use them on her own. Instead, she'll pop up so her front legs are on the bed, and WOOF (loudly) for us to pull her up LOL. And of course, we do what she wants, because, well, she's old. Reality is, she could leave us at any time, I'd never forgive myself if my girl (who loves the bed) passed away on the floor because I wouldn't help her up! Crazy, I know ;)

Does anyone have thoughts on why she doesn't like the step, other than the fact that she has us trained ;)

The carpet on the steps is the same shade as on the floor, and the thought crossed my mind that maybe she could have trouble seeing where the sides end? They're also not as wide as I would have liked - wonder if this could be a reason?

Comments (8)