SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ollieboy_gw

Asking a PB Quetions During Bidding Process

ollieboy
14 years ago

Hi Everyone,

From a few earlier posts I had I noted that we are in the pre-contract state for a pool where we are getting bids, comparing contracts, researching the company, etc. Because we are trying to understand the wide range of materials used for each bid, price differences for each and why some are higher or lower than others, and fully understand the warranties of each company bidding, we of course have some questions.

We spoke to several companies and in our area there are (were) actually 3 companies we like (whose names are irrelevant to this post). We are down to the wire on final pool shapes, sizes and came to an area where we asked several questions to one of these companies and received a very rude email back (in all caps for some words as if they were yelling at me) that they are not interested in bidding anymore because we are asking too many questions and they are very offended and frustrated that weÂd ask.

So here were some of my questions to give you some background.

1. Do you use a solid peace of coping or is it chipped pieces?

2. Is your stonework real or foe? (this came up from someone we talked to so we had to ask)

3. What size is the plumbing? Because we heard anything under 2" was not good we had to ask.

4. The quote says (2) 1 HP pumpsÂcan you price out an ePump for us and what do you think about a 2 HP for our project? (from some comments from our other post on this forum).

5. What does the warranty work look like?

6. Can we talk to your subs for references?

7. Your pavers are $2.50 higher than every company we talked to and all landscape companies, what is better about your pavers and what is the brand weÂd get.

As far as a home owners pool goes, we are not that big and do not require retaining walls and massive water features nor a spa but rather doing a modest pool with pebbletec and upgraded pavers plus a ton of other landscaping, wood deck redo, steel fence (per our community requirements), lighting, and about 3000 sqft of zoysia sod. So perhaps our pool is not all that fancy to this said builder but our entire yard and project is pretty big (for us).

Okay, hereÂs our questionsÂIs it wrong to ask these questions and should a pool builder feel upset that I did or should I feel better knowing that if they get this upset pre-contract and treat us like that just think how they would be post-contract.

This was the only company we ran into that treated us poorly like thisÂeven the others that we said no thank you to after the first or second meeting were gracious in offering ideas and extremely nice.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus