SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
labpa

TV for kitchen mounted in Onyx frame

12 years ago

A number of GWers asked for pics of my unusual plan to mount a TV in an Onyx frame. Some background is in order:

MY DH would only agree to the kitchen project if he got a TV and a microwave out of it. The micro was no problem but the TV placement was. All the small countertop TVs were, best I could tell, very poor quality. We explored laptop set ups (awkward), cabinet flip down TVs (also poor quality), in cabinet TVs (e gads -- way too expensive) and lift mechanisms (took up valuable cabinet space and too expensive). We concluded that the only place to put the TV of sufficient size to get decent picture and sound was on the wall of what is technically a breakfast nook, but which we use for our dog sofa below.

I was sufficiently appalled at the idea of using a wall where we had previously put art to put a TV that I insisted we find some way to at least make it more visually interesting so it wasn't just some huge black box on the wall.

Well its not done yet, but the frame is up -- all 275 lbs of it. It is sitting on a box frame that is attached to the studs and sits 3 inches from the wall which will allow room for the mounting arm and TV to be flush with the Onyx. Ignore the construction mess and temp kitchen setup.

I wish I had allowed the left side to extend farther so it looked a little more balanced but I was afraid of it looking like a black rectangle in a green rectangle. I know it looks a little unbalanced but I am hoping with the TV, it all comes together. I also wish I had not cut off the corner on the lower left side (as my GC suggested!) and had just allowed the light switch to be behind the Onyx. Alas, no going back now. My GC informs my "that thing is never moving from its current spot".

Below the Onyx will be a narrowish console/cabinet to store dog food and more recycling. Will post more pics when its finally done.

As an aside, I got the Onyx in a complete slab for a steal because it had a crack in it. I still have half the slab left, of which 3/4 is useable. I plan to have a couple of small side tables made from pieces where the TV cutout was made but if any GWer in Northern California has use for the rest, let me know. It is beautiful stone and there is probably a 5 X 4 ft piece left. Free to a good home.

Comments (15)